Groundsaw Opinions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ODIrrigation, Apr 19, 2008.

1. ODIrrigation

ODIrrigation LawnSite Member
    from VA

I was thinking about adding a small walk behind trencher/ground saw as a second trenching unit. I currently run a DW SK650 and I am looking for a smaller unit for tight spaces and something that will minimize damage on established yards. I will still use the 650 for mainlines but was wondering if a smaller trencher would be less damaging and faster back fill time for cutting laterals. Looked at the demo on the site for the EZ trencher ground saw and they were cutting on flat sandy soil. Majority of the places i work are clay and rough terrain. Would like a little feedback from those of you who use the smaller units (any brand) to see if they can hold their own. Thanks
  2. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

I was thinking of getting a small unit myself. I seen one called the ground hog or something like that.
  3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we used to use a walk behind but in our soils, like yours, you just get beat to death. Someone had a pic of that new toro walk behind that what clever. But if your wanting to be on established I'd try out a zahn. You can use your current trencher and I bet it'll do good for ya.
  4. HeadsUpGV

HeadsUpGV LawnSite Member

I use a MODIFIED Groundsaw. It has 3 more horses than the factory model. Will eat tree roots like a circular saw. Cuts through buried bricks and breaks up small stone. Works just fine for me, even in hard clay. They are fairly simple and can take a beating. Make sure you replace the carbide teeth. Pain in the butt on steep inclines though.

Backfill time might not be any faster, actually, but the finished trench looks much cleaner than the larger trenches do.