1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Groundskeeper, Clip, Gopher, or other?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by reznor99, Aug 13, 2004.

1. reznor99

reznor99 LawnSite Member

My father, my brother, and me are just starting out. We will be doing lawn service and light landscaping this coming season, with my father and brother doing most of the actual work. I am going to be record keeping, scheduling, payroll, etc. What do you recommend in the way of management software for us. I have trialed Groundskeeper and Gopher. Both seem good, but do you have opinions on what is more reliable. Also, does Gopher integrate well with Quickbooks. They say they do, and I have tinkered with it, but I have read some posts on here saying it may need work. Bugs?

Or do you have other recommendations entirely?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I bought Clip 3 years ago when I started my business. I couldn't be happier with it. I've never demo'd any of the other kinds, so I can't comment on them. I believe you can use Quickbooks with Clip. I do my billing through Clip.

The only problem is, the software I originally got from Clip can handle only 125 customers, then you have to upgrade, which is gonna cost me about $800. So for now I'm deleting all those one-time customers that I created a file for, back when I couldn't imagine running out of file space.
  3. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

No offense to the gopher guy who is always on here, but I bought Lawn Monkey and I really like it. It's the only one that I have tried so I am not knocking the others. Expect to put some time into whatever you buy, but it will be worth it.
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like gopher..
  5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am currently using Groundskeeper but will probably be switching to another one sometime in the near future. Don't get me wrong, while it is a good program there are several things that just aren't working like I had hoped they would. I have been looking at Gopher again.
  6. reznor99

reznor99 LawnSite Member

Those of you who use these programs, can you tell me how many clients you can add to them? And also, I looked at Lawn Monkey and Clip, and while they look like very capable packages, can anyone justify spending the $800+ on them as a start-up software. I mean, I am as positive about our new venture as anyone could be, and I don't look forward to the day when we have to transition to a new software because we chose wrong in the beginning, but are the most expensive software packages really worth it to the small-timer looking to make it big?

Just checking.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Thanks to all for your positive comments.

Reznor99, Gopher will export your invoice and payment totals to QB, with invoice line items. We have no limit to the amount of customers you can enter. We do not charge a tech support fee or a require a yearly service fee.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That's what I use and I am happy with it.
  9. Rob Spread & Spray

Rob Spread & Spray LawnSite Member

You may want to look at QXpress. You can lease it for a low monthly price. Try www.greenindustrysolutions.com they even offer on site training. Talk to Stan
  10. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Visual CLIP Pro w/ Invoice module, Projects Module, QuickBooks Link and Snow & Ice Module

Great learning curve......... but worth the investment in time and money!