Groundsmaster 220 w/62" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Mar 6, 2000.

1. The owner of a golf couse yesterday offered me a 220 w/20 hp gas w/62&quot; deck with 1200 hours for<br>$3500. I have use for this machine at a school district job and have a container on<br>site for storage.<p>Anyone have an opinion why I should NOT buy<br>this machine?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Do you know why the golf course wants to get rid of it? <p>Bill

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Just my opinion. lets say you could buy a new one for 7000$. 1200 hours is probably half the life of the mower and at 3500$ you are paying half the price. No deal there. try to get it for 2500$ then if it is in good shape you would be gettin a deal. Also 20hp gas is not much Hp for pushing a 62&quot; deck.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

A new one is $11,000.00<p>It's a very good buy lawrence.<p>I don't know if I'd want one of those or a new Z for 6,000, but that's up to you.

5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

<br>That sounds like a decent deal Mr. Stone<p>Especially since you have an immediate need for the unit and will have very limited transportation expenses related to it. <p>That'll make two 62's in your fleet.....awesome baby...<p>One thing to be careful about - test out the machine for at least 20 minutes(specifically the hydraulics). Any deficiencies in the hydraulics should show up within this time frame.<p>Good luck..<p>Ed

6. Charles

Oops:) I was just guessing on the price. Well then if it is liquid cool the engine will last much longer. Then it is a good deal. If not then the engine may last only 3000 hours. From experience I had one last 2600 hrs. $11000 sounds like alot of money for a 20 hp to begin with it must have central air and radio. I go with Lazer buy a new lazor with a warrenty

7. The owner of the golf course has this gas job<br>left (20 hp Onan) and wants to buy a new oil bruner to add to the two other 72&quot; mow units 4WD models. <p>He is a motorcycle and dragster (car) drag racer and he always keeps his stuff clean and<br>in good working order.<p>He will hold the unit until July so I can pay<br>for the unit in cash.<p>It seams to be a perfect mower for the school<br>district job. I am just doing the athletic fields this season but there is another 35 acres of just plain turf I want to include in next years contract<br>at this location. Since all the districts schools and fields are at this one a location<br>a big groundsmaster at that price has to be<br>a winning combo.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, the distributor who handles Onan is not the most reliable, and you may have to wait longer for parts than if it were a different manufacturer but if that isnt a concern for you, IMO it sounds like a decent deal.<p>Bill

9. Bill c

Bill c LawnSite Member

I think it would be a good deal.We bought a new 52 inch groundsmaster and it was 6,400.That 20 horse also has plenty of power

10. Charles

The 62&quot; is 4600$ more than the 52&quot;. Sounds like a big jump to me. 10&quot; is alot more deck to add to a 20 hp gas. You can buy a 3 cylinder Kubota deisel belly more for 10,500$ new. What makes the Groundmaster 62&quot; run 11000$? Just curious they don't sell them around here that I know of.