Groundsmaster

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by crawford_d, Sep 29, 2004.

1. crawford_d

crawford_d LawnSite Member

undefinedundefined
    I have two Toro Groundsmasters, one with a blown deck gear box. What has the industry learned about this problem of not being avaliable as well as being way over priced? Curtis machine co. made boxes for years for Toro, but are no longer doing so. They don't have any and will not give me any suggestions as to what box may mach up to mine. Someone must have figured out how to get around all that bull. Can you help? dlc

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Please provide your model and serial number of the groundsmaster. We've owned many GMs in the past and have a extensive database of cross over parts. I might be able to give you some helpful info. I've talked with the engineers at Cutis before and they have always been helpful. That is odd that they were no help. Also is the gearbox cast iron or aluminum?

3. crawford_d

Hey Thanks for responding! I have a 325D 4X4 and 223D both early 1990's. Don't have numbers here now but could get if needed later. I think the toro number on the box is 10-6810 if my memory servse me. Curtis said it would be a modal 211 box of there's which is a 1.26:1 ratio (19-24 teeth) and a 20 splin in put shaft. My gears and in put is good. I need box or houseing as they call it and most everything else. They stopped makeing parts for toro and don't have any more they say. They said the price is 493.00. That was higher than my toro dealer who doesn't have any either (back ordered). Protected parts are a real money maker to companys. Curtis tryed to tell me that the houseing they built for toro was different from others. I don't believe all that until I see it myself. My felling is that they are just protecting the price. I know there are a lot of curtis gear box used in grain handling equipment etc. but had to find one when you need one like now. Curtis also told me they made boxes for J.D. I called them back the next day after they called me and left a message that they no long had any boxes left for me. I asked about getting a Deere box and switching parts around to make my app. work, the same women said "we don't make any for Deere"! Funny how things change over night sometimes. Years ago I remember trying to get parts from them and the minute they heard the toro the price went up! Any way do you have cure for my problem? It's one thing to get hit for 5oo bucks but really is bad when you can not even get one! Thanks! dlc

4. sdwally

10-6810 crosses to a 22-7480 which is a castor fork. Please check the model and serial #s. Once I get that I might be able to find something for you.

5. crawford_d

Sorry about the wrong numbers. My machine is a 30795 with a 30722 cutter. The gear box is a 68-6810!

6. crawford_d

Well maybe I have that wrong too! I can't find my serial number on the master parts viewer. MY 223D is the machine needing the gear box that machine is a 30223-50126 and the deck is a 30555-40183. I don't know for sure but I think the gear box is the same on both machines.

7. sdwally

68-6810 crosses to 104-3441 which then crosses to 108-1370 at $278.99. Replacment Housing 68-7030 is still a good part # at $160.52. After looking at at 108-1370 in the master parts viewer, I don't know if this is a complete gearbox assy or just a few parts. You might want to call Toro Customer Service to find out, 1-800-348-2424.
    Best of luck.

8. crawford_d

I called toro and they told me that 108-1370 is the replacement gear box. They are back ordered and don't know when I will get one. Really cool outfit! dlc