group buying

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anyone get into group buying with another contractor or a group of them? I am interested in doing this to save money. Some distributors would set up a nice price if any of us wanted to ban together and buy a bunch of wire, bulbs, fixtures we use most ect.

Is this just more hassel than its worth ? If anyones interested PM me

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

We always purchase our wire in bulk to save money.....if you can afford it, it's well worth it in my opinion.

3. Pro-Scapes

my point was... If you bought in bulk.... and joe bought in bulk and fred buys in bulk and we all get an order in with 1 dist we should get extra special pricing.

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

You can get extra special pricing by yourself if you buy in bulk. There are companies out there that will sell to you if you buy at least 12000' of wire at one time. I have gone to buying my wire in this way. My last shipment was for 16,000'. This is my second large shipment this year.
    You just have to decide if you can buy your wire all at once or a little at a time. Your going to use it no matter what. Why not bite the bullet and buy enough for 4 to 6 months and save some money while your at it?

5. Pro-Scapes

who can we order this thru ? I wont sacrafice quality tho to save some pennies so it has to be reputable before I will install it and put my warranty on it.

6. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

Minimum order for freight allowance is 25,000 ft. purchased direct from the manufacturer. For 12-2 cable now adays that's over a $6,000 order. You can buy in lesser qty's from middle men or distributors who will ship for free also but you'll pay them a commission by way of a couple a cents more per ft of cable. Buying in large qty's is advisable if you have the space and you blow through it kinda quick. It's a double edged sword if copper continues to rise your immune for awhile to the increase if it goes down your inventorying a devalued product and tying up your cash. only u can decide what's best for u.

7. desert night light

from AZ

This is where a group like LVLIA could band together and use their buying power to leverage manufacturers instead of the president and other bd. members prowling message board sites and begging contractors to join, you'd have contractors begging to be accepted into the association. Guess they know better than me and are too busy with other things though. Tough luck.

8. Pro-Scapes

some distributors already offer discounts to lvlia members.

9. desert night light

from AZ

Billy you really talk a good game. What kinda buying power are you gonna command when you buy 1 roll of cable, 14 fixtures and 3 transformers a yr.