Growing Bent Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lovegreenlawn, Sep 7, 2005.

1. lovegreenlawn

lovegreenlawn LawnSite Member

I just picked up some bent grass the other day cuz i want to plant it in my yard to get that nice thick short grass but everyone says its realy hard to grow and take care of so could someone tell me step by step what i need to do to get this going the right way and some tips?

thank you

2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

go to your local Golf course, find the superentent and ask him, he should be able to recommend a book, while your there ask him how much gets invested in 1 green to keep it maintained per year. Believe me unless you want a lot of work you don't want bent. its beautiful but hard to care for.

3. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

there is a big difference between a professional golf course green and bent grass in a yard.

mow, water , fertilize ,aerate spring and fall.
    i look after a pitch and putt golf course that is mostly thick luscious bent grass..it gets no special treatments or fertilizer or weed control or anything besides mowing.

some of the bent is cut at 1/2'' some is 2'', some is 4''....the bent that is not on the greens gets NOTHING besides mowing...and nature provides the water.

the cost to maintain it?
    ZERO. besides mowing of course.

4. stumper1620

how many nights consecutive do you have 100% humidity where you are?
    here in Michigan 5 nights of high humidity and you will be spraying for pythium or dollar spot.

5. woodycrest

well, lets see..in june and july it was stinkin hot and humid for about 6 weeks..you could cut the humidity with a knife.

last year it rained every other day and much of the bent was soggy for most of the season.

there was a little damage early in the season from the winter and the soggy season last year, but it recovered quickly.

6. stumper1620

Wow thats pretty good! no preventive dose or anything and no outbreak is suprising for Bent.

7. woodycrest

there were a couple of problem areas but they recovered on their own within a few weeks.
    i cant believe how healthy it is overall.
    two of the greens are really crappy ,and weed infested.mostly due to crappy soil and lack of water, a little rain will bring them around though...except the weeds..they could use a spray.
    the rest of the greens are in good shape, mostly a result of topdressing and overseeding.
    The greens dont get weed control very often, but i few well timed applications seems to work pretty good. I dont do the weed control, so it tends to be kinda sporadic and inconsistent.

nothing beats best cultural practices for a healthy turf.