growing bermuda grass from seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by ricsin1, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

next spring i want to go from fescue to bermuda but dont want to do $500 for 5 pallets of sod when i can do for a $50 bag of quality bermuda seed. the area i have to cover is only 2500 sq feet .

has anyone successfully did a whole lawn from bermuda seed?

what a good brand of bermuda seed to use?

is there any good shade tolerant variety available in seed form?

with seed could i get it thick and filled in as if i had gotten sod?

2. GatorinFla

GatorinFla LawnSite Member

Here's my renovation using Princess 77.

http://bestlawn.info/renovations/from-sahara-princess-t3865.html

I'm not sure that a shade tolerant seeded Bermuda exists. Tifgrand is as good as it gets, and it's a hybrid, only available in sod or maybe sprigs.

Have a look at my thread, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

3. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

good post....! do you have a todays date pic you could post or send me... ricsin1@hotmail.com... I just came back from my local nursery - $150/pallet and I need 5 of these to cover 2500 square feet... $750...that doesn't even include $60 for delivery...shhheeshhh.... the seed route may be the way to go..

What brand of P77 did you use..?

why did you get rid of the Sahara.. i saw a bag of this at my local store... whats is wrong with it that you didn't like..?

4. GatorinFla

I didn't like the Sahara due to lack of shoot density. It would have been fine in the short term probably, but I wanted something that I could mow short, by short, I mean mow at 3/16. I just "raised", a relative term, my mower to 7/16, and I'm probably going to mow @ 1" due to no rainfall here.

I got my P77 from OutsidePride,http://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/bermuda-grass-seed/princess-bermuda-grass-seed.html

If you have a gander at my other thread, all the posts are date/time stamped. It'll give you a time as to what to expect as far as weeds and seed germination.

If you do decide to do a renovation, do not rototill! But do take the time to get your lawn level, hire a tractor with a boxblade attachment to do the work for you. Take it from someone who knows, it makes all the difference.

5. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

We do lots of fescue to bermuda seeding here in Raleigh. Fescue just doesn't cut it here.

I took these photos a couple of weeks ago. This particular customer has been very good about watering, despite his lack of an irrigation system. In my experience, 99% of customers without irrigation can't or won't water properly for the amount of time it takes for the bermuda to take hold.

We use Sunsport from Lesco. I could get other seed but Sunsport works and I love my Lesco folks; they have been very good to me. Also, I know I can send my clients there.

We put this in in late May. Note crabgrass in foreground; this is right in front of the gate. there are other small patches around, too. This is an acceptable amount, pre M will get it, and the bermuda will fill in nicely.

[​IMG]

that's my son spraying CT in the background.

the main thing is the irrigation. i have yet found a foolproof way to determine whether a potential client has the wherewithal to irrigate properly if they lack a system. they all say they will, but most don't. it's very frustrating.

btw this property was 90% crabgrass 10% tttf before we renovated.

6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of Pre-m did you put down. I was always under the impression that you couldnt put out pre-em, I have always just sprayed RU a few times before, add soil ammends and slit seeded at around 1/4" I though the RU would not let the Bermuda take hold to well so i have always treated the CG as it pokes through

7. GatorinFla

I waited about a month after germination before I applied Dimension. I've got quite a bit of CG now. I kinda wish I would've pulled the trigger a little quicker on the Dimension. But I was leery about doing so at the time, and it's way too hot to treat for it now. And Celsius Herbicide is way out of my budget.

I considered Sunsport as well, but was put off because I couldn't get it in a small enough quantity. I've only got 1300 sq. ft.

8. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Senior Member
    from Raleigh

we apply gly a couple of weeks and then again a week before seeding.

pre M in fall and spring.

9. ricsin1

ricsin1 LawnSite Member

@GatorinFla - do you have any recent pics of your P77 seed lawn? I have 2100 sq feet to do and read nothing but good things on this P77....

10. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

Here is my 2 acre renovation.....

[thread]279977[/thread]