growing grass after tree has been removed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Kings of Green LLC, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Kings of Green LLC

Kings of Green LLC LawnSite Member

I have two areas where trees were removed three years ago and can not get grass to grow in those areas. What do i need to do to prep the soil for fall seeding? Thanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Were the trees dug out or were the stumps ground, what kind of trees?

3. Snapper12

Snapper12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from CE MO

Start digging, if you run into the stump within the first few inches you need to have it ground out deeper. Most decent size tree companies should be able to grind to at least 12 inches.

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

If they didn't remove the stump grindings and add soil growing grass will be difficult for years.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

4 -6 inches of topsoil is generally adequate for oak and pine stumps... we've been doing it for years w/out fail... perhaps it is a black walnut or some such thing... try rotting it out with the special products or you own concoction of adequate moisture and plenty of microbes...

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

View my experience seeding after tree was removed--40 inch diameter elm. Stump was ground out, and yellow soil (low quality) was added. I applied Scotts inexpensive seed, "Classic". Blue, rye, F. Fescue. I seeded with several fert different treatments in fall 2011. Success.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374646

However, it did not do well during the prolonged drought in the last 8 weeks, June to mid August, 2012. This homeowner seldom waters the grass.