1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Growing grass in my basement :)

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonehenge, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm working on starting the things I need to do in order to have a nice booth ready for next spring, my first entry into the world of expos.

Part of those plans include having turf grass - not to walk on during the show, but I do want it to be real.

I have a couple ideas of how to go about this, but I don't want to taint the response - what ideas do you have to grow grass so that it's ready for an early March show (when there will still be snow on the ground here)?
  2. Stone, I have a friend who I could put you in contact with. He used to grow grass in the cab of his truck. It came out pretty descent. ;)
  3. sodJerry

sodJerry LawnSite Member

Buy some sod as late in the season as possible and let it freese-still rolled up. Then in early Feb. thaw it out unroll it and water and fert. This works best if you could use a spot in someones greenhouse.
  4. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How much are you going to need?

You could put a couple of squares next to a sunny window.

If you need more, maybe construct a hoop house in the back yard.
    A PVC frame with a sheet of plastic thrown over might work here but
    might need supplemental heat

In the basement, you might keep a couple of squares under some shop lite 48" fluorescents....

Good Luck!
  5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

hmm... could you possible have some sod shipped from a warm place just before the event?
    Kinda wondering how your going to mow the basement floor...
  6. Stonehenge

from Midwest

I figure I'll need about 100sqft. As for mowing the basement, I was wondering the same thing...maybe electric clippers.

SodJerry - how long would it take to green up? The beauty of this expo is it will be held in a greenhouse.
  7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Never tried it ... I like the greenhouse idea ( probably because we have 5 acres of them) ...Do start with sod..
    Off topic here but one of the first booths I had , I found a flowering crab that was out in full bloom... it looked beautiful .
    Have lots of colour if possible... maybe force some spring bulbs... give them away near show closing.
  8. Stonehenge

from Midwest

kris - where'd you find the crab?

I've got the bulbs, just need to do a little research on forcing.

I wonder if I could also 'force' some small shrubs?
  9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

isnt growing grass in the basement usually an offense?:D
  10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I snagged the flowering crab from a garden center ... it was inside. Not sure what your operation is like but if you can get a loan of shrubs(or rent). Again this is off the topic ... also talk to your stone supplier .... we get the use of the pavers, retaining walls, for the show every spring... they drop off and pick-up, no charge. I'll see if I can dig up a pic of our booth Ill post it if your interested.