Growing In Coconut Fiber???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garden Panzer, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

My understanding is that rockwool is out....stays too wet and breeds water borne fungi. The next thing is coconut fiber, drains more so you have to irrigate more- but thats ok in a greenhouse if you recycle the water and feed on PPM's...
    My question is has anyone grown seedlings in this material? or know of any other mediums that people use instead of rockwool.....I've done lava rock...
    :)

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Power Reel

Start your seedling in a Peta Pod and the more it to a Net Pod in a lid of a 2.5 gallon Bubbler. Be sure to use 15-30-15 when you go to 12 on - off.

3. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

I have my "res" covered, with bubbler, AND circulation pump. Clones go in soaked rockwool- but in rooting some issues arise. I use British Grade Fert- so that's not the issue. Even have the cube tops covered in black plastic...it's the medium, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, it doesn't tend to KILL the plants just stunt the heck out of them :realmad: I just heard this coconut fiber was the shindig because you have to irrigate more, if you are on 2x daily it would be 3x, etc- put that works out GREAT if you use CLEAN fert- so I was just askin', thought maybe some of the greenhouse types might know...

4. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

It is a good medium. It has been a long time since I did any work with it, so I can't remember the pH, etc. We used it a lot on some research grows and at the State U botanical gardens for starting and moving on, etc. One thing is to know your supplier as the workers use the coir piles for an outhouse, not too sanitary as a growing medium. They also use seawater in processing it so it would pay to check you EC in the growing medium to determine high salt content.

5. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

good comment planter....I read ec as well.... the coconut fiber is supposed to dump it's water allot faster vs. the wool...don't get me WRONG, wool works and I've used it for years.....I'm just trying to balance out the LOW spots in the graph when wool doesn't work so well.....I like to look towards the future, and from what I hear it's coconut fiber....