1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Growing KBG in a mile high desert

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob Minney, Aug 17, 2002.

1. I'm sitting here redoing my fall marketing program again. Was ready to go a month ago untill I realized that instead of lifting water restrictions sept. 1 they would be extended.
    Made the changes and was ready to do mailing. Day before yesterday city decides to vote on 100% outdoor water ban from Oct 1 through april 2003.
    a lot of lawns are going to die this winter if this passes. Lots are on the edge now and can't survive another dry winter.

Was hoping to sell renovations to repair drought damage but we can not count on natural moisture growing seed.

So check this lawn, I'm looking for what I can sell
    Shrub trim?
    Also note how the fires have denuded the mountains.

desert 0058 with shrub.jpg
  2. Trim that shrub!!!

Why not try to sell those maintenance free putting greens?

Do the whole lawn in astro turf.:blob1:
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Cactus might work.

4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

ever look into a "sand sifting service".........sift it to remove the larger granules and provide smoother, softer sand.......lol

i have relatives in Boulder, (hippies) they've owned their house since 1962, they decided this year to do away with their lawn and plant all native grass, shrub and trees...........the city comes by and cited them for no lawn!

but yet, they can't water.....makes alot of sense....my aunt is an attorney/lifetime student she's taking them to court.
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Kentucky Blue Grass with no water is like going to a bar and they do not have beer. It won't happen unless you can get water and a lot of it.

I would look into another type of grass that doesn't take so much water. I am willing to bet that huge parts of the country are going to go that way soon.

I have been in Denver a couple of times recently hauling cars. And it is just as dry as around here.
  6. This was actually one of my solutions to the drought.
    Stop making beer:eek:
    Think of the amount of water used with Coors, Bud, and all the micro's bottling locally.
    Plus every beer consumed (bar or otherwise) results in one flush using 3 gallons of water.
    So lets do the math
    Friday 300,000 beers
    Saturday 400,000 beers
    other 5 days @ 50,000 per day = 250,000
    so 950,000 12 oz beers per WEEK =
    950K X 3 gal or 2.85 million
    950K @ 12oz =175K gallons (approx)

3.025 million gallons of water per week saved

I figured this would keep a lot of LCOs in business so I placed a call to the governors office- lady there said we do not accept calls that originate from the Mile High Saloon. :dizzy:
  7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO :D :D :drinkup: :drinkup:

Even tho that would save a ton of water, some how I do not think that would go over very good.
  8. you know it
    I shared my thoughts with those around me so this post is being made from the ER
  9. The Mowerdude

The Mowerdude LawnSite Senior Member

Let's just all take a vacation, get some sand buggies and play in that stuff. :D
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds good to me . i got dibbs on the lemonade stand.:)