Growing landscape company

Discussion in 'Employment' started by BeautifulBlooms, Dec 7, 2006.

1. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Last season which was our first full season in landscape maintenance and installation we had two college kids working about 25-30 hours each per week for the summer 3 months. Then we saw the need to hire someone for the fall and that worked great she worked about 40 hours per week from the day the kids went back to school until just 2 weeks ago when we really wound the business down.

My question is, how do you take the leap of going to a full time person? We are at least looking for someone to act as a foreman on jobs where either my wife or myself cannot be. We will be delegating the jobs to this person in order to free us up to move onto bigger projects, sales, advertising etc.

Where doy ou find that firts person? Any tips? What about using recent graduates of horticulture programs whoa t least have some of the technical knowledge needed. Granted I know college knowledge is different than in the field knowledge but at least we can explain how we want something done and they will be able to handle it.

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You need to hire someone who has the same personality of your company. If your clientele is the high end no need to get things done as fast as possible we are just here to enjoy the experience then maybe a hort grad is your person.

I would caution you about the horticulture grads for this reason. I am going to make some generalizations here so don't everyone pile on. Horticulture students tend to be smarter more into plants and in short geeky. They are not production oriented and I have found very few leaders in the industry. Most companies can not afford the luxury of a horticulturist on staff until they are much larger. Usually the owner has to wear this hat.

If you are going to be a competitive install company you want a leader, someone who is, or has the intellect to be organized. Someone who can push people to meet deadlines and that are not afraid of a little conflict.

This person is your cash cow I would pay whatever it takes to get a good experienced foreman. A good foreman will also be tapped into where to go for good labor. Their is a mammoth divide between a average landscape crew and a good one.

This will be your most important hire.

I like to use Jobbing dot com and I like to search their resumes as opposed to placing an add. Cost more but your not replying to unemployed people who are desperate. There is something to the saying that if they are not working there is probably a reason.