Growing pains and a recent quote from Ric

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ThreeWide, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of you here know that I am new to this field having started last year. At this point in time, some growing pains have arrived.

Today I visited 5 properties that will very likely become new clients for me in terms of fert and weed control. This is obviously good news, but they are somewhat larger in size than my current client list. In addition, they have not been well maintained and will require a blanket weed control app to address current broadleafs as well as poa annua. Spot spraying just won't get it done. This is something I have managed to prevent with my current properties.

So now, a statement that Ric made recently comes back to my memory:

Oh how I wish this was true for me right now. Having a collection of pump sprayers will not address a 15,000 sq ft weed problem. My weapon of choice will be the old 30 gal skid sprayer with 150 feet of hose that I basically got at salvage a few months ago. This skid sprayer has no agitation, so I'm at a disadvantage there. It will however, spray at a 1gpm max.

Of course now I'm tempted to hit Lesco and pickup a 100-gal sprayer, but that comes with a huge debt. I own all of my equipment free and clear at this point, but it could be that eventually you have to bite the bullet.

I'm sure some of you folks have been in this position before, so any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf

15K of weeds to spray is nothing. 100 gallon is a real over kill.

Post Emerge Herbicide are most effective if Sprayed at ONE gallon per Thousands. Add food coloring if you want to be sure to it right.

Now I was in Tractor supply today and they have a 25 gallon electric tank for $ 124.00. Sure No agitation so just stick the wand in the tank and mix it once and a while depending on your poison of choice.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf

Don't mean to make you feel dumb but place the 25 gallon tank on your mower and use its battery. 50 ft of hose will be plenty. In fact you could set up a boom sprayer for just a little more money.

4. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to be doing this for awhile, skip the 100 gal. and go straight to the 200 gal tank. When I started, I bought a 100 gal skid unit and almost immediately wished I had spent the couple hundred more for 200 gal as I was filling up alot doing blanket applications to weed farms in the spring. Alot of time wasted versus filling up once for the day. I really like my ride on unit now but still wish I had a 200 gal tank that I could use as both a nurse tank and to spray back yards with small gates.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I've already been through that logic on the 200-gal. Only problem is my truck is too small to handle that much weight. So the max I could comfortably deal with is 100-gal.

It's obvious that I already have the equipment to treat 30,000 sq ft from one tank, so maybe I should just be thankful for that and get busy.

6. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you answered your own question. For me, right after I got my lisence I went straight out and bought the lesco 200 that fits right in my truck with reel and motor on the side. Yes it was an investment, maybe a leap of faith so to speak.
    But I hate to tell you this, if you are serious about spraying lawns its worth the money to buy a good pice of equiptment. I wouldn't even consider using "salvaged" equiptment to spray herbicides, but thats just me. You probably can get by for a while on the 100 Gallon. I would'nt recommend starting off spraying @ 1 gallon per 1000 without experience though. There is a good chance you will roast some turf IMO.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Well Gang

I will add to my Dutch Uncle speech one last time and then you guys can go out and buy your Trojan Maxims.

First. Why are the Spread and spray machine selling like Hot Cakes.

Second. How long are Pesticides good for after being mixed in a tank.

Third. How much insect pressure do you have in the north to require a quick knock down.

Fourth. Besides Post Emerge Herbicide what can't you apply with a spreader.

Fifth. How many of you have 30 to 40 grand lying around to buy a piece of equipment you really don't need. After all once you put a spray tank on your truck you limit its use.

Sixth How many of you are in pesticides apps full time that you really need a big tank.

8. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Great great points, you will save some good listeners a lot of money Ric. :waving:

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

This statement is true, However you must be planning for the future, I think your biggest issue will be the choice of truck you drive. Huge limits on what you can carry, and pull. I shake my head when I read something like " I could use the 200 gallon tank, but it will not fit in my truck "

If fert & squirt is where your planning on going then for little money you could get a 1-ton van and keep the TOY for mowing.

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

My company moved away from the large tanks 2 years ago and I will never look back. We can treat every lawn quicker with the spread/spray machine. I do load the 300gal tank on a pick up truck to spray some of the lawns (2000' or less) that the machine doesn't fit on. I think our public image has improved as we don't drive around the big trucks with those nasty "killer pesticides" anymore. Everything is housed in the van , which aslo has more billboard space.