1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Growing pains and what and when to buy equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Allen@hilltop, May 6, 2004.

1. Allen@hilltop

Allen@hilltop LawnSite Member

I need some suggestions on what my next purchase should be and how to grow the business. I have just started my second year in business for myself after working for 5 years for someone else. I offer both mowing and landscape services. The landscape seems to offer more profit but my mowing is on contract and helps through the winter and leads to other work. My problem is that I feel like I am spending all my time mowing and have no time for my landscaping. I have the jobs backed up but have to keep the contracts happy. My lawns are all over 1/2 acre and several over 1 and up to 2 acres. I am thinking I need to buy a bigger mower. I am looking seriously at a 64" Ferris. Anyone have an opinion to offer on that mower and if that sounds like a good move? Now it is only myself and one other full timer with an after school guy. I am thinking of another truck also so I can put them out mowing while I work on landscaping and meeting with customers. How have you guys overcome growing pains?
  2. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Id definitely get the IS3000z Ferris with independent suspension. Ive used that mower for over a year now and have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about it. A few comfortable right, extremely responsive handling, and best of all a great cut.
  3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've just always gone with my gut feeling. If I felt I needed a second 36", I bought it. I needed another dump truck, I bought it. Don't get me wrong, I've made lots of mistakes in this business, but that is always the way it was.
    I remember feeling that the mowing was taking up too much of my time. Only you will know when it is time to step back and let your employees do the work while you manage them. For me, it was about five years. There is no doubt that your time is more valuable meeting with clients and selling.
    As far as overcoming growing pains", you basically have to do the best you can, if you make mistakes, learn from them, and move on. That is why they are called "pains"
  4. cntryboymc

cntryboymc LawnSite Member

if you guys were to buy a dixie chopper or ferris 61" ztr,which would you buy?