Growing pains

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenedge, Jul 16, 2004.

1. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

Hello all!
    I have been out mowing for a year now.
    I started with 1 yard August 1st 2003 and now have about 35 yards. I started with a 20 yr old Snapper and a electric weedeater and electric blower.
    I now have:
    2-21" snappers
    1- Echo weedeater
    1- Echo backpack blower
    1- Echo Edger

The Echos are new, but both snappers were used and are falling a part.
    I want a 32" walk behind but don't know if I should replace the 2 -21"s first. Doesn anyone have any suggestions?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Do what is most cost effective. Ask yourself what you really need to keep the business going and what you can put off for now. You ideally would want to avoid a situation where you aquire a surplus of new equipment and use all of your earnings to pay your new bills...remember to look before you leap. I hope this helps...

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A walk-behind should increase your productivity by 50% or more over a 21". If you are at the point where the Snappers really need to be replaced, I'd spring for a 32 or 36".

My philosophy is, if its early in the mowing season I'll replace equipment as needed. If its later in the season I'll try to ride it out for the remainder of the year, no use spending a lot of money on something thats doing to sit idle for 3-4 months.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hoolie's got this one nailed.
  5. greenedge

greenedge LawnSite Member

I will take your advice . Thank you !
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Good point hoolie, thats what I try to do too.
  7. PrecisionLawnsInc

PrecisionLawnsInc LawnSite Member

Dont forget to measure your gates before you buy a walk-behind. A 36" will fit through most but not all gates. If you have more than a couple narrow gates get the 32".