1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Growing palms in Sw Florida

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by capelawncare.com, Aug 10, 2009.

1. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I have a small area out back, about a half acre. I would like to grow some palms in. I was thinking either canaries, slyvestris or alexanders.

Does anyone have any experience growing them? Any do's or dont's would be appreciated.

2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I know that Queen Palms (Syagrus romanzoffiana) would be the easiest to grow not necessarily the best profit. At one of my accounts, the back yard is filled with these palms, they pop up like weeds and grow fast. I don't know much about growing palms so I'm interested in this thread, if anyone has info feel free to chime in.
  3. brix

brix LawnSite Member

I have an older tree farm, that I'm trying to clean up. I have put trees on craigslilst for $50 each for any size palms, sylvesters, reclinatas, washys, etc. I was wanting an additional $15 per tree to fill the hole. These prices were for u dig, load etc. Not have gotten rid of one tree yet. No one has even come to look. So I would say the tree market is tough right now.

Hope this helps, Brix