Growing too fast

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zackvbra, May 30, 2014.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I saw 7 guys packed in a crew cab Isuzu the other day. They were maintaining a shopping center I frequent.

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Someone actually makes 7 seaters I believe.

We took 4 crew cabs for that property lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

^this.

There is 1 mower and 1 trimmer for every man on a crew.
    and by mower I mean something bigger than a 21/30

4. muggz

muggz LawnSite Member

Managing people is the hardest part!

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think i'd be scared to hire a helper these days. hard to find good help or at least someone that would stick around. what happens when you get double the amount of yards and then your helper decides to quit mid july? you can't do them all yourself. would be hard to find help that quickly.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep most of the time I'm hauling 2 72'' and 1 60'' but there is days I'll haul 2 60'' and one 72'' or just haul 3 60''

7. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

It is inevitable that you will have to expand to include a second crew. If you want to try that out on the cheap, go buy a used trailer and advertise for an experienced guy who will bring and use his own truck. You'll have to pay a little more, of course, but it is a good transition into that second crew. As you become more comfortable with the two crew set up, and have access to additional revenue as a result, you can purchase your own second truck and crew it normally.

We use Isuzu NPRs, but I keep a couple of trailers around for short periods when we get in a crunch, and I have a couple of guys who will bring their own truck to pull my trailer and equipment. I've always had lots of spare mowers, so that is never a problem. This gives me the flexibility to add another one (or even two) man crew for short periods when craziness happens and we are faced with getting behind (weather, surges in new business, etc.).It works for us.

8. The Don'z

The Don'z LawnSite Member

I wish I had that problem, best of luck to you.