Growing Your Business

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by AbsoluteCurbAppeal, Jan 4, 2006.

1. AbsoluteCurbAppeal

AbsoluteCurbAppeal LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I have been in the greens industry for 10 years, working for someone else. Last year Feb 05 I was able to purchase 48in exmark lazer z hp, 36in lesco walkbehind, 8x12 trailer and small route ($1050 wk) for $6000. Great price I think!!!? Anyway...... I have expanded this route over the year and thinking about hiring and employee this comming year. Finally my ? is--- After I run the #'s on employee expenses ie salary, ins, cost of more equipment ect..
    HOW MUCH SHOULD I (would u guy's want to) MAKE OFF THIS EMPLOYEE IN ORDER TO MAKE IT WORTH THE HEADACHES THAT GO ALONG WITH EMPLOYEES?

I mow, spray, trim bushes, aerate, dethatch, landscape bed maintenance, edge, clean gutters and snow removal.

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I look to get about 50 - 60K per guy but I don't do snow. This is gross

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

At least get enough business to cover his pay, taxes, insurance(work comp) etc. if you dont have enough to cover that them look for part time help. You dont want make your compnay less profitable by hiring an employee to soon unless you have capital to ride it out until the investment in the employee begins to pay you dividends.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

ditto on the $60K per year....
    i have had some only gross $45K , but it was worth the headache... i made $10K off them and the next year had an employee that knew what to do and that year he grossed much more... now he is a foreman for me...

the reason i only grossed the $45k was due to "carrying" him through his first winter when it was slow....