1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by malliso, Aug 21, 2004.

1. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

I have a question.At this time I have around 38 accounts with some of these accounts having around 5 properties.just wondering if any of you out there would think it a wise idea to start next year hiring another guy?I know that it will cut into my profits for awhile but is it a safe move?I mean in order to cut my time to advertise some more also?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

How many hours does it take you now?

IMPACT LawnSite Member

It's all about time. How much time does it take you to do them now? How much time can you save with a helper? How much free time will you gain versus how much will you be paying out over each week in pay, taxes, comp, etc.? Opportunity time is worth the extra cost if you have the work to move on to other things a day or so sooner each week. I know a guy here in town who is happy working basically 6-7 days a week solo just mowing. When we come across an account who doesn't fit our profile, we pass his name along to them. He says he will never hire anyone to help so he doesn't get shafted or dependent on someone else. Whatever works, I guess. If you have more work than you can handle, and a steady increase in your client base, it may be time to look for some help. Good luck.:D
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the big question is whether he will be around for next year. Will it be a waste to hire him on now, train him, expect him to stay next year, but when it comes time to work he has another job for 2005
  5. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

true,but i hear spme on here saying they are doing around 50 accounts by themselves and getting them done with no problems.I dont see how I guess because of the quality I try to do in each lawn.Thats why I wonder if its worth it to hire on next year.With a 2 man crew seems like i can keep my quality and increase my speed
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Your profile already says you run a two man crew...

7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ok man here it goes and I know I will get reamed for saying this but as alot of guys here already know-----------I only have 23 accounts right now and I do them all in one day with one helper and let me tell you that it IS IS IS worth it, the rest of the week I get to advertise, market, pass out fliers, work on equipment, speak to potential customers and yes even sit on my ass and spend time with my family, some people can grow their business by theirselves but you can grow your business much faster with help-----when I had 10 accounts I had my best friend start helping me and I have never looked back.......
  8. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

my 2 man crew in the profile consists of me and my dad.my dad works a full time job now 12 hours a day 6 days a week,so i guess i shouldnt count him
  9. malliso

malliso LawnSite Member

thanx firstclasslawn for your input.it does make sense and thats what i need to b doing is advertising and promoting,very hard to do that by yourself,lol
  10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what kind of accounts you have. Some people have 20 min. accounts for $25. Some have 45 min. accounts for $50. Some of my accounts take 2 hrs. for $120. You will not double your time by hiring 1 person. You will gain about 40%. If you could increase your income by 40%, it would be a good thing. That is what you want to do. 40% means nothing, it is just a number. What you want to do is increase your income by %. You decide the amount of increase you want and work towards that. If you hire 1 person and do not gain income it may not be because you hired 1 person. It may be the person you hired is holding you back. You got to play around with it some. There is no way for anyone to really know if hiring someone will work for you. If you feel you are over worked and you need to hire someone then do it. If it was me I would hire a part time person 2 or 3 days a week to see how it works out.