Growth-how fast is too fast?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Beaner, May 20, 2008.

1. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

I just started my company last year, I'm a part timer. I've went from 6 accounts to around 16 this year. The plan was to grow slowly and when I retire,(7 years from now) take this to 3 full days a week. I presently only cut now on Saturdays, I've hired a helper for that one day.
    I want to try to stay to one day a week cutting if possible. I'm still getting quite a few calls for quotes so we may get over 16 accounts to 20-25. How much would a second employee help? Could we squeeze out 5-6 more yards with one more guy?
    I don't want to get too big too fast, but part of me says to grab all the business you can while its there. Several of our paper mills have closed and the competition is alot thicker this year. Another option is let my employees do the cutting while I'm at work but I'm a little worried about quality control. Any suggestions fellas?? :canadaflag:

2. AWR

AWR LawnSite Member

Man Thats A Tuff One..if You Pass Up The Work Now You Probably Wont Get Calls To Next Spring, But Quality Control Is Also Important. I Know As Soon As I Leave For A While My Guys Try Using Short Cuts And The Work Isn't Up To My Standard, How About Getting A Second Guy For That Day??i Know Where I Am I Beleive Each Guy Is Good For Ten Lawns Aday, Thats How I Set Up My Route.but Good Luck

3. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

thanks AWR. Exactly my problem. How many yards could a 3 man crew knock off in 7-8 hours?

4. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

My yards are pretty much all 55 x 110

5. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

With yards that small, I doubt another worker is going to really increase your productivity. It would be different if you had alot of acreage to cut and needed another trimmer or mower but 2 guys would work well for me with that small of lawns.
    Can you not mow just like one day a week after work? That would give you plenty of time to do another few yards and keep building.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

beaner - why are you cutting 16 accts on only one day a week?? And with an employee??

I would think about laying off the employee and take your cutting to 3-4 days a week. Then you could handle the 20 accts. I can't imagine doing 16 accts in one day, spread yourself out a little more over the week.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

beaner - nevermind missed the part where you work somewhere else currently.

Do you like your day job? If not, may be a good time to hang er up and take on the 20-25 mowing accts yourself (no employee). That would provide you with a nice income.

8. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Nahh...I have a good gig right now where I work, 28 years service, pension and benefits. Trying to do a little balancing act between both jobs. My day job is computer and telephone, cutting grass in the sun is rejuvinating!!

9. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not cut a few after work by yourself,that small of a lot you could do 3-4 till dark if the route was tight. Then Saturday you and the one Guy should be able to knock down 15 Easily that size.

10. Beaner

Beaner LawnSite Member

Thanks Boys. Good advice (as usual on here).