Growth inhibitor for grass?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mfred10, Apr 11, 2008.

1. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I have seen places like UNC use what I will call a "Growth inhibitor" for grass.
    It was used on steep banks where weed eating was extremely difficult. It was sprayed on after trimming and you maybe had to cut just a few more times that season. Noone here in TN seems to know what I am talking about, is there still such a product and where might I purchase it or any other suggestions?
    Thanks

2. CrownLawnSvc

CrownLawnSvc LawnSite Member

Yes there are such things. Generally not cost effective to sell as a service, but your situation may be different. Get to know a local golf course superintendent and find out where he buys his product.

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

second that on the golf super

many courses spray a number of times over the season

i have used primo in the past with good results

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Primo...once after the second mowintg & again 4-5 weeks later.

5. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Experimented with Primo/Primo max a few years ago. I marketed it to exclusive clients and was reasonably successful as it was incredibly expensive. Results were good overall but seemed to be more effective on turf that was mowed under 2 1/2". It also seemed to vary in effectiveness if the lawn was "mixed" with warm/cool season turf. The Bermuda seemed to slow down much more than the Fescue and it definitely made a difference in seedhead suppression. The Fescue appeared to be healthier, greener and probably due to the leaf cells being more compact thereby concentrating chlorophyll. Good product, just not for everyone. Better suited to very high- end properties and golf course use.

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Used it for several years on steep slopes, worked ok. On some flat areas I was able to note that you really need weed free turf, seems that the grass was suppressed but the weeds continued to move at a different rate.

7. mfred10

mfred10 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the information.
    I will give it a try when I can locate some.
    Great site here!
    Fred

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have experience with Primo on golf turf but not turf maintained at lawn height or higher. For the golf turf it is very important to apply at labeled rates. Accidentally applying at higher rates can cause yellowing of the turf. It is a very good product.