1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Growth Inhibitor

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by warrenaw, Dec 6, 2007.

1. warrenaw

warrenaw LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used a product which inhibits new growth on shrubs so as to require less maintenance.
  2. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at it, but PGR is EXPENSIVE stuff! unless you need it to free up time to do other stuff, you might be better off avoiding it. It does work well though from what Ive seen on turf applications.
  3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Why in the world would you do that? I'd think you'd want the bushes to grow normally = more trimmings per year = more cash for you. Doesn't that make sense?
  4. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Not if you've bid a full maintenance pkg that includes a large amount of shrubs!
  5. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

yea, if its between trimming shrubs and doing something else that will make you more money, then yes, throw some PGR on those babies and get on it. Your just trading PGR cost for trimming labor.
  6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Aw, the guys before me haven't researched the subject enough!

Think outside the box!

Just because you find out that PGR's are EXPENSIVE doesn't necessarily mean you have to use them on EVERYTHING you maintain, right?

I started experimenting with Cutless 0.33 G from SePro the instant it became available on the market, about 2 to 3 years ago.

Check them out at sepro.com

Prior to that I had known about the sprayable Cutless formulations that the golf guys use in fairways, and had heard about their successes, so I was already somewhat sold on the prospect of it working on ornamentals.

I was not at all disappointed.
    The granular formulation is easy to work with. And I focus ONLY on plant material that is 'labor intensive' : like viburnum, hydrangea, lilac, forsythia... all the BIG stuff.

The greatest place of all I've found for it is in ground cover beds! (Fully established ones only)
    I've applied the Cutless around the end of April or so and pretty much finished the need for any 'top clipping' of the euonymous or the vinca for the rest of the year!

...and as a bonus I've found that the product has increased the 'concentration' of blooms in some plants- specifically the summer bloomers like viburnum and hydrangea.
  7. warrenaw

warrenaw LawnSite Member

If you have fixed monthly maintenance fees you want to cut down on trimming labor and cleanup. Dumping fees are also going higher.
  8. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have used cutless at my shop to show customers. some of my cust only trim when asked( monthly programs are better I.M.O.)
    cutless worked very good and easy to apply.
    i am now trying some atrimmec at the shop to see results, will post pics, slow time of year might try again in spring. i will then look at $ to see if all is equal which is less expensive.
    becareful some pgr's can affect appearance if over applied...
    to my knowledge the 2 mentioned do not and if you want the plant to grow just trim the top of the plant.
    also look at app. timing in relation to trimming.
    if you are on a monthly program they will not notice the lack of trimming just that the shrubs look good.
    price of product is high but goes along way
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Buy Guy

If Applied correctly PGR can also fill in very leggy shrubs. Most PGR Work by redirecting growth. I used PGR to help Mismanaged Landscapes express themselves.

The Cost Effective Trick in using PGR is to be selective of the plants you use them on.
  10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

You can use products like Atrimec and RegiMax. You also have PrimoMax, just verify the label is listing the plants you plan on spraying