growth inhibitors

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Doc Pete, May 4, 2004.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guy's,
    what's the real truth about growth inhibitors. Some say they only work on certain grass. As far as I can see, they seem like they would be a good thing.... Less growth, better root system, greener in the summer. Help........
  2. Josey Wales

Josey Wales LawnSite Member

A plant pathologist w/Okie State called Primo Maxx "God's Gift To Bermudagrass" during a lecture for my applicators class.

Less growth, better root system, greener, etc etc..... seems almost too good to be true but I'll find out in a couple of months.

I've only got three customer's who are interested in Primo but I forked out $400 for a gallon anyway. When I asked the Estes salesman to throw in a gallon of Primo with the rest of my order, he said, "You mean Liquid Gold?" :)
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm trying to deal with the "lawn tech, chemlawn, lawn doctor" customers. The grass is growing an inch a day, but the people want the lawn cut once a week and not bagged. Lawns look like complete "sheit" with grass all over the place.
    I want to offer them something that a good pesticide guy can apply.
    Keep those answers coming.....
  4. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

Doc pete I feel your pain. I'm fighting the same thing here. I'm so sick of removing those chemlawn flags once a month. You can't make a lawn look good that is 8 inches tall. I'm trying to do my own fertilizing this year hoping that I can get away from those crooks!
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hopefully next week (May 10) I'll start using my Primo on the fence lines for the school district that I maintain. I'm going to double the recommended amount since the district doesn't care if I kill the grass along the fence or not.

I'll try to remember to post results down the road.
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using primo in cool season grasses for about 4 years. Makes life a breeze. I did a test at a neighbors. I sprayed 1/2 the lawn w primo maxx. It was cut the next day and then I went back 6 days after cutting and took measurements. Every where we sprayed averaged around 4 - 41/2 inches tall. The unsprayed measured minimum 8" tall. Cut the growth rate in 1/2. Looked like it was just mowed as you came down the road. Stripes were still bright in the treated area but were almost gone in the untreated areas. Gotta love the stuff.