Growth regulators

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jwalker, Jun 20, 2001.

1. jwalker

jwalker LawnSite Member

We have been looking into using a groth regulator on some of our more "challanging" turf areas and to cut down on the number of prunnings we do on some properties.

Anybody have any info they would like to share on this subject?

I have done a little research on Embark and one other product that the name escapes me at the moment. I found the instructions confusing as to what quantity to mix in a backpack sprayer, as this is what we will be using to spray the product.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. powerreel

powerreel Banned

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

PGR's really aren't designed for use in pack sprayers, except on shrubs. Make shure you mix your PGR with Iron, it tends to cause yellowing and Iron in the spray greens it back up. If you spray when it is hot you can cause serious dammage to the turf.

PGR'S all have the same mode of action with regards to the plant. Some are premixed with Iron to neutralize the yellowing effect, but other than that they are pretty much the same.

Lables are designed for well calabrated accurate sprayers, you definatly don't want to doubble up in spots when spraying PGR's on turf.

Jim L

4. crew

crew LawnSite Member

Amen to Jim- this stuff is tricky. I bought some primo last year and tried it at home first. Had a yellow stripe down my lawn for much of the summer with very little apparent growth reduction.I still have about 80 bucks worth in the shop. I hope to try again when i get better equipment than a back pack.

5. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Proxy is the new generation of regs and causes no yellowing. I dig on the 87% reduction in clippings you get 14 days after ap. then it lasts for 6 weeks.

6. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using Embark on fence lines with mixed success this year. It does thin out the growth, but apparently there are some grasses that are resistant to it because while it thins out most turf grasses, there's a thicker bladed type I'm unable to identify that it doesn't work on. The fence lines look much better than they did when we used roundup on them but this hasn't eliminated, only reduced the trimming needed. I did use Embark on a section of turf in a orchard with trees that have no mulch ring [the grass grows right up to the trunks] and again that thicker bladed grass [I don't think it's crabgrass] grows faster than the regular turf grass but I also got the yellowing. I'm still experimenting and will try the Proxy when I use the Embark up.

To mix for backpack, you need to figure out how many thousands [or fractions of a thousand] square feet you are going to spray and mix at that ratio, as shown on the label. I don't have the label in front of me, but I figure two square feet for each lineal foot of fence I'm spraying, multiply by the total lineal feet of fence and mix that way. I want to say this came out to 3.5 oz. per gal. but don't hold me to it as it was a few weeks ago since I last sprayed. All in all it has cut down on trimming and is working for me.
    Will M>

7. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Well, Atrimec is down on all my shrubs for a couple weeks now and I can see the difference now! It has shut down a bunch of stuff.... works best on ivy,laurels,buxus,barberries, I love it! Also it will kill buttercup, if you have buttercup in groundcovers it's worth the expense not to hand pull...:p