Growth Regulators

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by treborie, Feb 3, 2008.

1. treborie

treborie LawnSite Member

Anyone use growth regulators for hedges (mostly privet).
    If so, please share your experience, with brand, and how and when to apply and how often.
    I never used it before and was wondering if they work

Thanks

2. MILSINC

MILSINC LawnSite Member

They work. Try attrimec (gordon's product).

3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

They work very well. Read the label carefully.

4. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We've used them on Russian Olives and had pretty good results, spray till drip with them. Whips still began to erupt, but still significantly reduce trimming time.

5. treborie

treborie LawnSite Member

I have a condo complex with a lot of hedges at must cut them at least ten times through out the season which is very time consuming. If the growth regulator is used hw many times would they need to be trimmed?

6. shaneb

shaneb Inactive

Cutless Granular can be used for this purpose and has shown to control growth for 3-6 months depending on rate, species, etc.

7. treborie

treborie LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Is it pricey?

8. Atlantic Lawn

Yes it's pretty expensive. If you consider the labor, gas and removal it's more than worth it. On Russian Olives you trim first then apply and from that point you trim only some of the small shoots that emerge and try not to ever cut away the layer that had the spray. Read the Atrimmec label from Gordon.
    http://www.pbigordon.com/pdfs/Atrimmec-SL.pdf
    Applied correctly and you'll love it. Good Luck

9. handyzac

handyzac LawnSite Member

I was just thinking about this the other day. I like the idea of pgr's however I just took over an account with hedges that looked to be treated with pgr's by the fact that there wasn't any new growth and spider webs like crazy. to me the hedges looked terrible. is this typical when using pgr's?

10. Atlantic Lawn

Nope it's not, more typical of a shrub that's been over sheered. Plants that I have seen which have been treated with PGR's are typically denser than normal.