Growth retarders..

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by txlawnking, Aug 5, 2004.

1. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I heard someone here on LS talk about "Growth retarders", they mentioned a product called Embark, and another one that I can't remember.. What's the skinny on these product's.. How much do they cost, where can you get them, do you need a license to BUY them?? Any help would be apprecieated..Thanks

2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate to sound like a smart aleck but the search feature will do wonders for answering your question. And you probably want to enter 'growth regulator' in the search.

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It was probably Primo. Primo is pretty costly, but works well. You do need a liscense....I purchase mine from Lesco.

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I doubt they are labeled for St Aug, TxKing

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Both Embark and Primo are labeled for St Augustine and work very well at the low rate.

Green Dream

You need to read the label. Oh and understand it before engaging you key board. Guessing is not really the best way to answer others questions.

Now the Label is that information sheet attached to the package of a product. The manufacture put it there so the end user will understand and use their product in a safe and productive way. Many Pesticide labels as well as the Material Safety Data Sheet can be found on line. Below are two website I use to look up, read, and understand pesticides labels and Material Safety Data Sheets. I suggest you add these to your favorites and USE them before applying Pesticides or engaging your key board.

www.bluebooktor.com

www.cdms.net

at248.gif

6. txlawnking

Ric, do they work like I'm imaging? Say, spray them along a fence line and the grass won't die, but it will just slow down considerably?? Is my understanding correct? BTW, I did do a search, I'm just mainly concerned about reducing trim time, and thanks for the advice. In TX the law may make these products fall into a fuzzy area, as you do need a liscence to spray an out right pesticide/herbicide, but I don't believe these products KILL grass correct? Again, thanks...

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tx lawn

Yes they slow down top growth. However they do redirect growth to cause a thicker or fill in bare spots. Primo @ 0.1 oz per thousand is very cost effective on St Augustine.

Draw backs are. can cause yellowing of even death if applied at higher rate or overlapped. Be careful that you apply it evenly.

Embark can also be used on shrubs. OF COURSE always read and know the label before applying any pesticide.

8. txlawnking

Thanks again Ric, I checked the stuff out at Lesco..

9. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I wrote " I doubt" not "they're not" ....

I haven't heard of anyone using it on St Augustine, Ric. If it was used I'd assume I would have gotten wind of it by now. I don't live and die by my replies on message boards, so if I am off a little, my pride doesn't suffer. And it doesn't suffer when those that try to be the resident genius point out when I am wrong. If I ever use Primo or anything else new to me, you can rest assured I'll try to decipher the label. If I can't I'll post up for your guidance and wisdom.

Jethro Bodine
    Lonn Speshilest

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sheesh...

Anyways, TxLawn, I ran Primo at a rate of 1 oz / 1000 on KY Bluegrass up here in MN, along fence lines to reduce my trimming time on a School District that I mow.

I ran it out of my PG Ultra, out of 1 nozzle. Where it was overlapped it worked, there's some areas that haven't been trimmed now for 8 weeks. Some areas it didn't seem to work at all, and some areas we had to trim after 4 weeks.

I mostly contribute this to using the PG Ultra, as the low volume of carrier I do believe led to the inconsistent coverage of the grass, therefore getting "some needed trimming, some didn't".

If you do a search for Primo Maxx, or look up my postings, I have pictures as well from before.