GRRRRR :angry: :angry: :angry:

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, now i am pretty pissed off!!! I lost 4 clients today due to some $*(FGIJ tards that went around one of the areas i have been working on building and low balled!! these are about 1/4 lots and I was charging 120 a month they all signed yearly agreements but in there I state that either party can cancel at any time with 30 day notice...well I was givin notice by 4 clients today, when asked how much the other lco offered, they stated 80 bucks, they offered to keep me if i matched their price, but maybe I am wrong but I told them GL with your new service. I was pretty unprofessional after that, and told them that if they stopped showing up or did a bad job not to call me back....I kick myself for stating that now...but i mean 80 bucks!!! these folks are like a 20 min drive for me... should I have sucked it up and taken the loss and matched them? My wife seems to think I should have.... In my sub division I charge 100 per month, cause i can pretty much just ride my Z to their houses from my house, but if i have to drive more then 15 min to a location I don't see taking my equipt off my truck for less then 30....am I being to high on my horse or should I stick to my guns.....

:angry: :angry: :angry:

2. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I would have left the door open for the future, but can comprehend your utter frustration at the time. Best to keep calm and move on.... I would not have played the match price game...every time you show up there you'll be pizzed off at yourself and the clients...a lose/ lose situation, if you will. Sadly, it will not be te last time this happens...we've all had it happen at some point.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

sometimes words slip out when the brain isn't looking. I have certainly said my share of dumb things in a heated moment. You did the right thing by not matching the other guys price.

4. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Poncho, sorry to hear that man. Surf n Turf and BSDeality are right. I wouldn't have played that matching crap either.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you live in Tampa, there is not need to drive 15 min anyway. Good thing you did not lower your price. You will have them replaced before the 30 days are up.

6. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

In the heat of the moment it is hard not to say what you think. Never burn bridges. I lost a client about a month ago to someone cheaper. Last week the same client I lost ask me to come back because they were not happy with the cheaper lco. This same client also got me another client 2 doors down that just moved in. All because of the service I gave. So the best thing to do is walk away and smile and say call me if it doesn't work out. But I do agree never lower your prices to keep somebody unless they send you a bonus check at X-Mas for a $1000 dollars. :laugh:

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

well instead of losing $160 a month u are losing $480 a month so unless you can fill up those empty spots then yea you made a somewat stupid move in my opinion and if all 4 where on the same street or within a few blocks then u made an even bigger mistake in my eyes

how much would have your hourly rate been dropped?

and you have no clue if they are lowballers maybe they are using 2 or 3 z's... and then they could be making the same profit per hour than you are even thogh most likely they are just lowballers most the time lol but dont get all angry at the other lco til you know tyhey are dirtbags

now breathe and go get more customers or figure out what they are doing that you arent that they can give a lower price and maybe something good will come out of it

8. CBrosLawn

CBrosLawn LawnSite Member

Poncho, same thing happened to me almost two weeks ago, lost 5 customers to a cheaper rate, rudely asked if I could match, but it was way to low, and it hurt bad being that I started this as a part time gig looking to expand in the future...

best part about it, I busted my tail getting insured, all the poper legal work done, decent commerical equiptment, and now I drive by the property and see some guy mowing with a push mower :cry:

I was pretty angry when they called me about it, but I did my best to just shrug it off, but I understand your response...sometimes you just cant and o how bad I wanted to tell them where to go....

9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm going to have to remember this one!:laugh:

10. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I think that we can all agree that you should have maintained a professional attitude from start to finish,but whats done is done.In my opinion and the way I would go about it is that you should not have lowered your price, you set your price standards on the level of service that you provide and how much that is worth to you.I believe that this is just an opportunity for you to replace those missing accounts with something better and you just need to keep focused and capitalize on the next good things that come your way.:weightlifter: