1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Jun 14, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It was only 5 minutes to our first lawn today and as we pull up what do we hear? GRIND every time I touch the brakes!!! We cut the lawn and went home. It is now 10:30 and I put new pads on and out we go again! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  2. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Routine maintenance would have kept that from happening. If you're rotating your tires every 6,000 miles or so you would have seen the pad wear before you went metal to metal. You DO Have a PM schedule for your truck, like you do for your equipment, don't you?
  3. ProStreetCamaro

You know what? I am starting to get sick and tired of this routine maintenance stuff. Honestly if I did everything I was "suppost" to do, there would never be one moments rest. Should sharpen blades every day, should change oil in mowers every 200 hours, should clean mowers once a week, should rotate tires every 6,000 miles, should check brakes, should change oil in truck every 3,000, should check tire pressure in mowers daily, should check pressure in truck weekly, should should should. Should do more work around the house, should clean ports on 2cycle equipment. I mean JESUS CHRIST people get a life. If I did everything I "SHOULD" do My day would consist of waking up, eat, work, come home, work on equipment, shower, eat and go to bed. NO NO NO NO NO I want some damn time to do absolutely NOTHING or what ever I damn well feel like.

I notice some of you "claim" that you change oil in your mowers every 40hrs and oil in truck every 3,000 miles. You all also "claim" to sharpen blades every day and clean your mowers off every week. I think there is alot of BS on this forum as to what alot of you "claim" that you do. If I did everything I was suppose to do I would never have a minutes rest.

Oh by the way you might as well concider me a mechanic. I can fix any and everything there is to fix on a car or truck. From motor's to rebuilding transmissions, to setting up ring and pinion gears and anything else there is to do. So dont tell me what I "should" be doing.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You should change your wipers twice a year too.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

For ProStreetCamaro,

Dude, calm down. Routine maintenance isn't that hard (but being a mechanic you already knew that) and it doesn't take a lot of time to do.

I don't sharpen my blades everyday. I honestly can't see the difference between sharpening every day and once a week. In fact I don't do a lot of those things you point out as often as you say.

I service my mowers on Sunday morning. It takes about 1 to 3 hours max depending on whether I'm doing oil changes or not or how big a hurry I'm in.

My Sunday service consists of:

Sharpen 8 blades, 2 on the 36" Exmark and 6 on the Dixie. Check the air filter on the Exmark. The Dixie's air filter only needs a once a month check thanks to the Turbo precleaner and Donaldson canister air filter. Check the oil, change if necessary. Check rear tires on Exmark and front tires on Dixie. Those are the tires that loose air so I only check them. The other tires are looked at occasionally. Grease the mower if it's time. Check hydro fluid on Dixie once a month. Look at the belts from time to time. That's it for regular maintenance.

There is no port or muffler cleaning on the 2 strokes, I run Amsoil in them and it doesn't plug anything up. I check the air filters once in a while but they don't get run in a dusty or dirty environment like the mowers do so that is never really an issue.

Once a month I drag my little Craftsman air compressor out and check the tires in all of my vehicles. Takes a half hour.

Oil changes do occur at 3,000 miles. It cannot be overstated how important clean oil, oil filters and air filters should be kept.

Well, I think you know where I'm going with this. People usually get into trouble when they let things go and then all of a sudden they have a breakdown or have 8 million maintenance things to do. Do a little here, a little there and it will get done. It doesn't have to be done at the murderous pace that some here at Lawnsite do it but it still must be done.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

I understand what your saying and I wasnt trying to be rude in my post. It's that some of these guys seem anal about there business and machines. Like there life revolves around there business. Thats can be a good thing and a bad thing. This business cant consume a persons life. Here is the way I do things. I change the oil in my work truck (98 chevy 3/4ton 4X4 with snow plow) every 6,000-8,000 miles with mobile 1 and K&N oil filter. <<< Great combo!! and mobil one can go alot further than 8,000 miles. Mowers get changed in the spring and mid summer. We sharpen blades every 2-3 days depending on how much we have cut. I check tire pressure on the mowers breifly in the mornings before we head out. Truck only gets oil changes and nothing else unless it absolutely needs it. Actually I think after 102,500 miles it might be wise if I do its first tune up. Oh yeah I grease the mowers when i change the oil and clean them up. I have never rotated the tires on the truck but I do rotate them on my 99 SS Camaro LOL
  7. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you got other issues man. I change the oil in the truck ever 2500-3000. Your a damn fool if you dont..Towing a trailer and constantly starting/stopping and stuff. Blades do get sharpened twice a week, and i check the air filters once a week, and change the oil every 75 hours. What kind of mower do you have that you only need to change oil every two hundred hours?
    I do still have time to sit around and do absolutly nothing, or come to work like i am right now (radio shack)...I think your just pissy because you let your truck pads go metal to metal...Shoulda changed your break pads earlier and you wouldnt have had that problem now would you?

Do some maintenance

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm probably anal when it comes to Routine and/or Preventive Maintenance.

I learned how important all about that was when I was with Hertz Corp. Makes no difference to me whether it's a car or a mower. If it's sitting broken down cause I didn't keep up on the maintenance, I'm losing a helluva lot more revenue than what those repairs are gonna cost me.

I know, I've been in this business full time for 10 and 1/2 years and was with Hertz 14...
  9. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Wow Prostreet, didn't mean to pi$$ you off so bad. No, I don't do EVERYTHING I should either, maintenance wise. My life definately DOES NOT revolve around my machinery. For the record, I am an ASE master certified auto and truck technician, for what little that is worth, and somehow I seriously doubt you have the training, experience, informaqtion, or equipment to diagnose and repair a late model car's computer systems, IMHO. Your program of Mobil 1 is fine, you're actually changing the oil a little too soon mileagewise, if anything. Synthetics are the ONLY way to go. Back to this tire rotation thing, Do you ever rotate them? Do they wear that perfectly that they don't ever need it? Most 4x4's I've seen tear up tires pretty good. Again, sorry to tinkle in your morning Wheaties, but metal to metal brakes are a totally preventable breakdown, in my book.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Along with girlfriends?