grub app prices???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by get rich, Jan 27, 2003.

1. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

i was wondering how you all priced out your grub apps? i'm sending out five app fert program pre-pay letters and offering grub preventitive apps(mach or merit). what i'd like to do is get an idea on how many customers would be interrested in it , then i'll substitute their late second and early third round out, then i'll put mach or merit w/ fert in to make up for that round of fertitlizer. sound like a plan?? but pricing it is tricky, i say give a good fair price and more will sign up, but the boss says mark it up, if anyone can help me with a formula to crunch my number and come up with a profitable yet affordable price,please help????? thank you all in advance, have a good one....peace :D

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't substitute. Do you practice IPM or are you just going to apply to any turf whether grub presence breaks the threshold or not?

I apply as a separate charge for those properties in need of this treatment, but only after it is determined it is needed. How else am I going to 'get rich'?

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Grub prevention is arguably IPM as the preventive applications contain as much as 8 times less AI than a post control application. You can argue either way though.

As for pricing, our product cost for straight Merit is $4.33 per 1000 sq ft. Add on what you normally would to recover overhead and make your profit per application. Don't charge less because the product is expensive. If they want the service, they will pay, if they don't, they won't. It's not too complicated. About 75% of my customers have it done.

4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Great up sale. I charge equal or more for the Merit application even though it's one trip in the turf with the spreader when I'm putting down fertilizer. Customers who have had grub damage know that by the time damage is visible, the post treatments while effective, doesn't keep the lawn from looking bad. Those that gamble and need post treatments are charged normal application rate plus a $30.00 trip charge.

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I will apply merit on their second visit. I use merit on fertilizer and charge as as two services. It's one trip over the lawn but twice the revenue. I also guarantee against any grub damage. If the lawn is damaged,I'll fix it for free.
    BTW, Bayer will pay for your dylox if you use merit and have a grub problem. This was per a Bayer Rep at a seminar 2 weeks ago.
    PK

6. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

i charge $10 per 1,000sqft then add in my other cost. my minimum is $45 for a grub app. preventative applications are a good imp in my eyes. dropping regular apps to sell grub control, thats a loser idea. extended services are meant to make you more money.. using impregnated products increase productivity thus increasing the bottom line even more. your best bet on what product to use is find out what everyone one else has been using for say, the last 2-3 years and use the complete opposite.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

That is very sound advice. Although it sounds counter intuitive, it is actually the correct thing to do.