GRUB COJNTROL - how to charge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wrestlingcoach, May 19, 2004.

1. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

how does everyone charge on grub control?

what is the best chemical to use?

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

we use Merit. It has been registered here since 1995 (i think). Have never had any failure with it.

it is expensive, and you'll get several different answers on pricing. We use Merit with our 3rd application round (mid June-early August). We charge regular application price. Because its done with our 3rd fertilization we leave two invoices, one for Merit, one for Rnd 3 fert. So we dont make huge profits on the merit, but we apply it when we are already scheduled to be at the property doing rnd 3.
    We do have some customers who skip the summer fert. but take merit app. with those folks we add 30% on to the app cost

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge double the regular round price for fert w/ Merit. For the people that don't opt for Merit, rescue treatments w/ Dylox are also charged double the regular round price. I also give my Merit customers a guarantee "Grub free or I fix the damage free".

4. rats5656

rats5656 LawnSite Member

do you have to water merit in the lawn right away or can clients wait a few day till rain .. or if i put down combo prduct fert /mert still have to water..

5. I rotate every year between Mach II and Merit for season long grub protection.

We use Dylox if there is an active grub problem that needs treatment immediately.

If you are using a granular product then you should water them in as soon as possible, for maximum effect.

I charge about double an application price for a grub treatment.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

All grub controls need to be watered in, no exception to the rule.
    Liquid products should be watered in almost emediately.
    Combo products, as you mention, also need to be watered in but the urgentcy is not as with a liquid.
    Ultra violet light will break down these products.

We use a combo fert/merit and recommend product get watered into lawn ASAP for best control over grub populations.

7. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

EJK, "rescuse treatments" I love that term..Im gonna steal it if you dont mind.

I am also a big fan of merit, however I do use some Mach 2 as well. I like the fact you dont need to water Mach 2 right away.

My concern with merit is during hot dry summers, if a lawn goes into dormancy within 30 days of applying the merit i feel there isnt enough time to get the material into the plant. Ive talked with several people at Bayer and some agree with me and some dont.

We charge the same as a treatment as long as we do them together.

8. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

We have been using merit with our rnd 3 since 1997. When merit first came around we used it with our rnd 2. Had some failure. The dryer summers will cause beetles to lay their eggs latter in the season than ussual, thats what happened to us in 95 and 96. have had no failure with merit since we swiched to rnd 3. the watering is a major concern for me. I mean our rnd 3 runs from late June thru early aug. the dryest time of year. but even with that we have had no failure. I also know for a fact some (if not MANY) homeowners will not water the product in and during this time of year we can not rely on rainfall, and still have not had any failure.

use Mach2 on some lawns. got bit pretty hard with mach2 when it first came around, lots of failure on the european grub. but we were refunded our $$$ and also refunded for the dylox we used to save our lawns/accounts. also got a hardy meal out of it, Gregg, the sale person for....cant remember who make mach2, anyway he was very fair. And I know they have changed the label but i still have some fear of mach2 failure, so we use it sparingly.

9. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

i hear you Tsm on the Mach 2, I used it the first year it was out and had failure everwhere, I have been slowly coming back to it, I am concerned for the eurioean masked, they still have poor results with that one.
    I am scared to put all my eggs in one basket though,( with merit) I remember oftanol back in 85-86-87 was awsome, then something happened in 88 and it was nasty.

10. lush&green

lush&green LawnSite Member

James, just curious? When did you apply the Mach2? We are switching to it for this year cause it will save a ton of $$$ and I want to mix it up. We plan on using it during July. What are your thought? Thanks