1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grub Control Merit ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikefromny, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

whats your opinion should it be used in a bout a month for grub control (new york) , lesco sell this stuff? granular
  2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

This material is the only sure way to treat for grubs. Mach 2 has burned me twice now, once in '99 and again last season.

Apply between 6-15 and 8-1.

Lesco sells it in granular form and as a combo product with fert.
  3. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

excellent product
  4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Merit is much easier to put down as a combo product. Lesco sells a 0-0-7 with Merit - goes out at a little over 3 lbs/1000 - very easy to work with and won't let you down. Put it down in May or June and get chinch bug suppression as a bonus. Can be a problem after 7/1 though if it doesn't get watered in. Irrigated yards are no problem but most of my custonmers wouldn't water unless it made money grow in their yard.
  5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

do you use merit wp out of the z max?
  6. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

No. I use a Lesco granular combo product, 24-5-11 with Merit.
  7. ant

.20% merit 7-0-0 $44.95 does 14,300 sf. ($3.14/m)i get 1 1/2 app. price.

mert .5g 1.4 LB/M $68.52 does 1ac.($3.19/m) i get 2x the app. price
    i make more money in the .5g due to the fact that it is an extra step ver. the combo product but the down fall is i have to visit the lawn an extra time..
  8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Arena (clothianidin) is a new group 4A neonicitinoid insecticide that offers commercial applicators greater choices. Arena is in the same chemical family but works faster & controls a broader array of insects including Chinch Bugs. Arena also controls 2nd & 3rd instar grubs which Merit cannot do.

Dr.s Vittum & Shetlar have both reported up to 100% control of white grubs at rates from .1-.3 lbs AI/A. You read that right....One TENTH of a pound. The current label recommends .2-.4 lbs AI/A but there is data to suggest that half this much is effective.

Sorry Bayer but the white grub monopoly is finally over.

We currently have Arena on a .5G & as a 50% WP right now. Look for fertilizer combos & a more convenient .25G in 2007.

Arena is brought to the US by Arysta LifeScience & is being sold by small & mid size distributors for this year.

Arena offers applicators greater flexibility with respect to rate, timing & targeted pests.

Check it out.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I do my Merit Apps with the sumer fertilizer in July. I charge the regular app price for the fert and for the Merit I charge the reg app price plus 50%. I like doing them together it saves me at least 2 weeks work!
  10. ant

were can i get arean? whats the cost?