Grub Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Jul 9, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey all,
    I'm going here in a few hours to pick up my grub control app for this year. Queastion to you all is what brand you recomend?

I posted this in my last thread but hasn't got much traffic probably due to the other issue being resolved so..someone did say Merit but I can't find it on Lesco's site.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Personally the first grub control I think you need is an automated sprinkler system.

Just my .02 :)

3. kirk1701

JD have I offended you in some way? just asking as your reply is blunt but...

Anyhow as for the sprinklers, you need to understand where I'm at, not a house in 20 miles of me have underground sprinklers, hell host homes around me don't even have a lawn they have crabgrass and johnson grass lawns.

Just my .02 :dancing:

4. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

I did the same thing a few weeks back. Consensus was Merit. Mach 2 was less positive feedback but that seems to have changed since the label (I think) now permits higher app rates. Merit (generic) is what I used based on my searches. Just going off the top of my head, but don't think you can go wrong if you choose Merit.

5. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so straight up. I'm not offended at all. I'm just a blunt guy.

That's awesome you are leading your area in turf aesthetics. My personal opinion is you wouldn't need to put so much effort into what chemicals when, etc... if you had an automated irrigation system. Less drought stress = more insect and disease resistant turf.

Sure you might be learning how to "do things right" in this forum, but sometimes I wonder if you are learning to do "the right things". In other words, doing teh right things is important than doing the wrong things the right way. IMO the first thing you should do is get irrigation in. Then, only after that, should you worry about chemicals.

You inferred yourself that you were one of the leaders in your area, why not lead them to a very important part of lawn care... irrigation (at least in my area).

Peace out. :drinkup:

6. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I found some gereric merit this year named MALICE wsp. It cost me $51.00 an acre. Much cheaper than name brand Merit. Generics are the way to go.

7. kirk1701

I wouldn't say one of the leaders :drinkup: but definitely one of the best looking in my neighborhood. I have one issue, no shade and because of that the front lawn suffers but I got three dogwoods across the front so give it time :cool2:

Now don't get me wrong, there are some $300K sub divisions up the street from me with beautiful lawns however this time of year they are ALL BROWN I kid you not (unless we get rain like we have this year) because no irrigation.

Tell yu the truth, I've only seen a couple of places here with irrigation so I'm being honest when I say I'd probably be laughed at by all the neighbors taking it that far to put irrigation in, especially with city water and like last year we were in a drought and could not water but every other day that was mandatory.

As for doing it right, yea I'm learning as I just got back from Southern States EMPTY HANDED! after 1. being told I had to put the grub control down every three months and 2. being told rather then putting a pre-emergent down now I should get something (herbicide) to spray and it just now hit 90 degrees today so you guys also warned me about spraying above 90 :drinkup:

So yea, you input helped, last year at this time I would have walked out of southern states with $140 in grub control and killed the lawn spraying a herbicide :) which then would have been better off taking the $140 and stocking up on beer :laugh:

Sounds like what Lesco quoted me this morning; was $51 and under the name of Bandit which I was told was the same as Merit. Thing is, they are not close to me and would have to ship and UPS gets a bit expensive shipping 30 Lb bags :dizzy:

8. kirk1701

Think I found what I need guys :clapping:

As someone else once said here there is a seach feature.

Found this:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=274480&highlight=Grub+Control
    Grub Ex it is than. :drinkup:

Also called the extension office as mentioned earlier in the thread and got some very imforitive links; thought I'd share.
    This will help me all year
    http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/PUBS/agr/agr55/agr55.pdf

http://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ent/ent10/ent10.htm

9. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like what Lesco quoted me this morning; was $51 and under the name of Bandit which I was told was the same as Merit. Thing is, they are not close to me and would have to ship and UPS gets a bit expensive shipping 30 Lb bags :dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Actually it came in a packet of 4 1.6 oz ws bags. Or 4 1.6oz bags per acre.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. GrubEx contains Imidicloprid, which s the active ingredient to kill the larvae in the infant stages as they hatch, once it is rinsed down into the soil and taken up by the plants. Incidentally,...there are much more economic choices of this same product, rather than the beautiful, gorgeous colorful bags that cotts comes in.