Grub control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SpudsM15, Apr 24, 2003.

1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I want to overseed a prop. that is really thin maybe because they have some serious grub problem. Will the grass seed come up if i put down a grub control product around the same time(withindays):confused:

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Notice on the label that there is no conflict with grub contol and seeding.

3. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

You will have no problem with the seed germinating,I am curious why did you put a grub control dowm this time of year? I think you are wasting your money. It is too cold in Jersey at this time of year for grubs to come to the surface.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Were showing grubs now in CT.....

5. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

i didn't put anything down yet... But the other day i dug a few holes in different spots on the lawn found whole bunch of those darn things.... I think those stupid squirrels are going after them cause they dig so many holes!

6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the squirrels are going after the acorns. I mulched an area in front of my house, it looked real nice when done. A couple days later the darn squirrels had dug a bunch of holes looking for acorns.:angry:

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They are all surfacing here in Michigan, too. It's right in a transition for grubs now, though, because there are so many still yet to surface. Sandy soils are warmer, and better soils are still quite coo. We're currently hitting them with Dialox and Diazanon. I'm going to use Merit on the affected areas this season, though. When it is able to have effect.

8. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

If you find less than ten grubs per square foot, I wouldn't treat it at all. Spring grub activity rarely causes problems on the lawn, the lawn can out grow the feeding damage and they will stop feeding shortly any way.

IPM, we all better start practicing it!

Remember, grubs can build up a resistance to pesticides rather quickly, remember oftanol? Don't treat unless the threshold of damage has been reached and then follow all label directions.

9. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I don't think that it is necessary to treat with grub control now, they are just waiting to become a beatle. They feed very little, and cause almost no damage, I treat with merit in June, and have never had a grub problem on a lawn that has been treated.

10. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

"Don't treat unless the threshold of damage has been reached and then follow all label directions"

Good advice Phil.

Rkk,i do the same thing.I've been using Merit for 3 years now.....works great.