1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grub damage appearance-cannot find grubs.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

August 17th-I have 6 lawns that "appear" to have grub damage. Lawn in sunny areas have some dead spots, the dead grass spots pulls off the soil easily, some of the good grass rolls back a little with soil attached, however I cannot find any grubs-I checked good grass, dead grass areas, but no grubs. I fertilized these lawns with Mach II in June. It is not a fungus, only appears in sunny areas. What other insect should I be looking for. I would like to know what I'm dealing with before I just start applying Dylox 6.2.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Is soil dry--mabe they are down deep. But really, it is rather early for grub damage, grubs are very small in August--expect damage in October. Did you see signs of birds feeding on the grubs. Peck marks from pecking at the soil?

Are you sure it is not drought?
  3. mikesturf

We have had a ton of rain in the past 4 weeks. No birds, no skunks, no raccoons. I agree that it is early for grub damage. Anyone in northern Illinois noticing anything like this.
  4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a ton of grub damage right now!...I have seen it in the spring as well......I saw some drying...so I checked.....saw nothing...checked again...nothing...day 3..found lots of small ones..make sure you check where the grass is still green.
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've seen a lot of it as well; mainly on non-irrigated lawns who didn't water when I told them too.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Chinch bugs or sod webworm? Chinch bugs like sunny areas. Sod webworms in the adult form are a tan colored small moth that fly around at dusk.:waving:
  7. mikesturf

I have seen the sod webworm moth (cigar shaped) flying around on some lawns. I thought it is when they are flying, they are dropping their eggs, then in a few weeks, the larve from these dropped eggs damage the grass. I have damage now.
  8. mikesturf

I will recheck these lawns as the summer goes on. The thing I'm annoyed with is that I put down Mach II and still have grubs.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

In our area chinch bugs will take a sunny area real quick....we treat all areas for both....then we check irrigation next.
  10. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the easiest ways to check for chinch bugs is to take a large coffee or canned fruit can, and cut both lids off. Twist the can down into the sod of the suspected infestation area and fill can about 1/2-3/4 full of water. Bugs will float to top. For sod webworms, what you are looking for is a hole in the top of the sod, at an angle, with a funnel shaped web attached to the hole. This funnel shaped web is easiest to spot in the morning dew, or after a light shower. The chinch bug gizmo seems to work better in the morning, too.:waving: