Grub damage from last year?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Drivefaster35, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

OK I'll do my best to keep this short and sweet and respond to any questions. I was approched by a local car dealership about taking care of there lawn the other day that is in horrible shape. The lawn has BAD grub damage the whole thing has grubs. Some parts of it totally have to be raked up and reseeded and others are salkvageable the grubs however are still there from last year and have never been treated. I ahve delt with grubs a few times the past couple of years with dylox (I am licensed by the dept. og ag and land stewartship and pestacide dept. My question is what now when should I treat the grubs I mean when is to early there obviously still deep down for the winter but I really want to take a stab at them as soon as possible and rake and reseed the bad spots any help would be awsome. Zach

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Is the damage they cause done for the season or will they go through another eating frenzy before they pupate?

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

ItÂ’s to early to put it down. you will be wasting your money
    Unless you have high temperatures.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Generally speaking grubs will become active in march before the grass will. I would identify the type of grub then treat from their according to your zone. In new England I would do a split app. of dylox in march depending on the soil temps

5. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It's mostly made up of your general white grub (I saw it last year late summer) and they were really bad I know its way to early to treat however I'm just trying to get an idea for a "plan of attack" some of the grass is completely shot and will need reseeded. Should an app of dylox still be put down after raking the dead turf up or would the grubs have moved on? I will try and take some pics today or tomarrow i'f I can and show you the position I'm in. Thanks for the help so far tho guys.

6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Mostlikely the grubs are still their, dylox is a fast kill make sure it gets watered in its good for a start but a app of merrit later on should give you good control over the summer months.