grub damage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tjcezar, Mar 21, 2006.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have a lawn that has encountered grub damage. Approx. 2000sq ft.. Is it too early to treat? How should I go about repairing it. I was thinking of removing all dead grass, maybe spreading a thin layer of topsoil so lawn is not lumpy and then seeding it. When should I try to attack the grubs before seeding or after. Any help woould be appreciated.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you can do the renovation this spring. wait until mid June and apply merit grub control. that should control the grub population for the rest of the year. if you have any grub activity this fall apply Dylox. you should get this lawn on a annual grub program, once you get them they seem to get worse every year if you don't get on a prevention program.

3. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

What he said. You don't have grubs right now because the soil is too cold. Merit should keep you covered. Renovate the lawn as soon as this cold weather ends.

4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

so are you saying, I should renovate the lawn once weather breaks then in say mid June apply the grub control.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Aerate, overseed and starter fertilizer when the weather breaks. Then later apply Merit. I have been applying Merit in mid to late May for years with no problem. You get some sod webworm control that way. If we have a dry June and the product cannot get watered in, it is less effective. So looking for a time to apply in June when there is no rain in the forecast is tough. On the flip side if it rains a lot during the summer, some say it is less effective come fall time if you apply in May. 2 years ago when we had a ton of rain in the summer, I put Merit out in May as usual and had no problems. To each his own though.