Grub Damage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by carcrz, Aug 7, 2007.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Is grub damage permanent or after treatment will it come back to life again? I had a customer who chose to not follow my advice & water in his grub control. :hammerhead: Now I'm just wondering if it'll come back or not. Like all grub damage, you can peel back the sod.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi dude - I'm just 3 hours up the road. We have never seen annual white grubworm activity before mid August here. Usually we find 'em September through November. What gets me is when homeowners know they have grubworm damage, then they peel back the turf -- then they discard it, and try to seed after it's too late. I just wish they would have called first. Applying Dylox with thorough watering easilly fixes the prob so the existing turf recovers naturally & quickly. Go figure, and I'm sure we'll see this happen again this year as well.

3. carcrz

This is my first real problem in 5 years now. I new it would happen soon or later. I was hoping for never. So a renovation is in order regardless of treatment?

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Treat with Dylox. Add plenty of water as irrigate every day. Reseed as needed in Sept.

5. carcrz

Put the Dylox down today. I wasn't expecting it to be almost like sawdust. We put a timer on it this time so I know he'll be watering (unless the batteries go dead).

6. carcrz

How long should results take?

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

The Dylox works pretty fast as far as killing the grubs! but the recovery of the lawn will take several weeks with lots of water.
    if its not looking like its going to come back buy the 1st week of Sept. I would go ahead with renovation.
    you will need to remove the grub damaged turf before reseeding.

8. carcrz

What would you consider fast? I applied it at correct rate, we're going at about a week now & they're still there. :cry:

As for the renovation, I was expecting to need that anyway so no big deal there.

9. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

They should be looking sick by now! Did it get watered in good?
    if they still look healthy I would apply dylox again, you should start seeing results in 48hrs.

10. carcrz

I told him to water it in good, but you know how that goes. I knew something didn't look right. Is it too late now to try to water it in? I know some stuff needs to be watered same day or shortly thereafter.

What's funny is his favorite line lately is "you can give him books & give him books, then all he does is screw the teacher!" Sounds like this could kind of come back to bight him.