grub issues already

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmartin, Mar 28, 2006.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I was doing a dethatching job today. One side of this yard was loaded with white grubs. Here in Massachusetts we had a pretty mild winter so these things were probably pretty active all winter long.
    Anyone else finding these yet?

Just seems too early to be spreading the dylox!!!!!!

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Save your Dylox for late summer, spring grubs do very little if any damage, they just have a little snack before they morph into beetles.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Cemars is right, its hard to convince the customers that its better to wait if they find grubs in the spring but they will do very little if any damage in the spring. use merit in mid June or Dylox late August but Dylox is my control of choice!

4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

These guys are right, you'll find grubs in probably every lawn even if treated. Since grubs have different life cycles 1-3 yrs. depending on variety, you'll find them. I always get calls in the spring when homeowners are planting new plants and trees. Most of the grubs are adults and not feeding(grass damage) or are too deep anyway. Save your and your customers money and treat in late summer.

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

You are right guys, spring grubs generally do very little damage. The critters that like to eat grubs are a different story. I have had lawns roto tilled by skunks in early April, because I ignored the grubs. If you see a grub infestation, kill it.

6. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

got to agree. skunks potentially could be a problem (crows do a pretty good job of ripping up turf as well). So its a call you have to make. But if those grubs are up that close to the surface then its not to early for dylox. Temps are expected to be in the 70* range again tomorrow (though I dont know where abouts in MA you are, a bit cooler on the coast) that'll bring em up to the surface. Keep in mind that there aint no rain in sight so either you or the customer will need to be sure that dylox gets watered in.

we rarely treat for grubs in the spring for the reasons mentioned above, but we will on a new account if we fear 'critters rototilling' and we can usually get a 60% control in spring. (that may not be enough control to stop skunks fom digging...so you have to make the call)