GRub killer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawns Etc, Oct 17, 2009.

1. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

One of my lawns has a pretty large amount of grubs My question is will Merrit work well now I have always used it mid summer and had great results. I am in S Jersey.
  2. grass4gas

grass4gas LawnSite Senior Member

Use Dylox. It works quicker and is cheaper. Be sure that it gets watered in ASAP.
  3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Merit will NOT work for you this late, You need Dylox as stated above and it needs to be watered in.

HOWEVER, if you think dylox is cheaper than merit, you either need a new merit supplier or you need to re-do your math on the per k cost of the two products. We get merit w/ fert significantly cheaper than dylox.
  4. Heidi J.

Heidi J. LawnSite Senior Member

Next year I am going to do some research and see if it would be better to try Arena or Aloft. It may cost more, but these grubs are kicking azz this year. They are still surface feeding, at this time of year..

We had some customers, that had dylox done in August, and in September we checked, and they still had big juicy grubs chomping away.:confused: A Bayer rep. told us Dylox only has a 24 hour residual after watering in.. Which should work.. I guess in Michigan.. we just have super grubs! :dizzy:
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

August MAYYY have been a bit early this season for Dylox. Many weren't even hatched, and the very few that were, were very infantile. As a matter of fact, the way THIS year went, it wouldn't have surprised me if Merit would have worked with an August application. But yes, we sure have them active here, too, with the solid exception of course of those that were pretreated. The bad thing is, is that everything is still very moist, and we even had like 3 days of rain last week - so the damage is all being masked. I have shown some people what is happening in their yard, and while they are alarmed, it is sort of downplayed, because it doesn't look as bad as it really is. Wait until this next week when we have 6 to 7 days with no rain. This grass will really be discoloring then and it will be a wakeup call.
  6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Odd. I saw some serious skunk damage last week. The kind of damage you get when skunks are digging up grubs for feeding. But I found no grubs. What is going on here?
  7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Skunks ate them all.....
  8. Heidi J.

Oh I agree. The way the weather was this year, you could have put merit down through August.. but who knew:confused: I noticed Friday on my way home, alot more skunk damage.. so you are right, we will have to wait and see.

Still waiting for my PM:)
  9. Heidi J.

Hmmm...That is odd. Maybe turf hokie is on to something..:laugh:
  10. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Same thing here.
    Treated an acre lawn yesterday that had skunk damage everywhere, couldnt find a grub anywhere.
    Homeowner said they came home one night and there were three skunks out there. Lawn is in country and surrounded by fields.