Grub problem/re-seeding questions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BlaineAB, Mar 27, 2006.

1. BlaineAB

BlaineAB LawnSite Member

I live in Orange County, New York and I've got a grub problem.

I've raked-up the dead grass (a lot), so do I re-seed first and apply the grub insectiside in July, or do I kill the existing grubs now so that the little bastards don't eat the new grass? From the research I've done, it seems like there are products like Dylox and Sevin that will kill the existing grubs now, but I'll have to apply again in July when the grub eggs are being laid.

Also, should I use both a slow dissolving granule and a liquid against the grubs?

Thanks for your assistance.

2. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

Blaine
    From your research, you probably know the cycle of this pest. The grubs feed on the grass roots much of August, and this is the best time to kill them because they are close to the surface. In late spring they turn into pupae and are resistant to most insectisides.
    I would wait until late spring to reseed (grubs stop feeding in late spring),assuming you are not talking about a huge area. Your germination won't be as succesful as it would be in the fall, but I think this would save you money in the the long run. Put down an insect "preventitive" mid summer and I would then spray for the pest in August according to the label on the insecticide(s). Then come fall, overseed, fertilize in late October or early November with a quick release fertilizer(check with your county extension for the exact dates of this LAST application) and you should have a great stand of grass come next spring. By the way how big is the area being treated?
    Blaze

3. slebeau20

slebeau20 LawnSite Member
    from USA

Put down grub control the third week of June.

4. BlaineAB

BlaineAB LawnSite Member

The area of dead grass that I raked-up comprises, I'd say, about 1,500 sq. feet, plus some patches here and there (I've got about 3.5 acres to cut)
    Them thar grubs are hungry fellers! So, I've got a bit of grass to grow.
    I read that trichlorfon is somewhat successful in the spring against grubs.
    I believe that's the main active ingredient in a 24-hour grub killer that Bayer manufactures.

I'd like to take advantage of April showers to help the new grass grow.
    Are there any other cheap top dressings other than straw to help the new seedlings grow? I'd love to hydro-seed, but I don't have the cash.

Thanks for your help!

5. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

I never use straw, it introduces to many weed seeds into the yard. On an area that small, just keep the ground moist and you should be ok. Also, put down some fake rubber snakes to keep the birds away. I know it sounds silly, but it has always worked for me.

6. BlaineAB

BlaineAB LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions! My son has some rubber snakes, I'll give it a try.
    We've got a bunch of wild turkeys that wander through our yard, so I hope they don't like grass seed.

7. Re-Ignition

Re-Ignition LawnSite Member

I use salt water hay/straw... no weeds if you can get it in your area.

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

There is also pelletized mulch. Looks like rabbit pellets, but are blue/green. They pop open when wet, and will hold in moisture and shade the see too. And guarenteed to be weed free. Don't forget a light shot of lime and starter fertilizer when seeding. Makes a big difference. Follow the directions on the starter fertilizer, and one bag of lime out to suffice.

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I would topdress the seed with1/4" organic compost, that will help the seed germinate in 1/2 the time as well as put organics into the soil 1.5 yards should cover thaqt area. We are experiencing a lot of grubs in southern mich now and they are close to the top so grub control may work in NY at this time, take a soil sample and check if they are close to the top and active