1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

grub problem?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wolfpacklawn, Jul 20, 2006.

1. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

First I must admit that I just don't know as much about lawn pests as I should so I come here asking for help. I have done a search on the forum and I am pretty sure that one of my lawns has gotten hit hard by grubs. The dead grass just pulls right out with no resistance (ie no roots connected). However, I am not seeing bugs anywhere. Is that because they are gone now and already did their damage or could the dead grass pulling out be caused by something other than grubs or some lawn pest?

I am in Reno, Nevada and the grass is (was) Kentucky Blue.

Thanks for any help.

2. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds like typical grub damage. In our zone most of the grubs have become beetles and are mating at this time.
  3. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

Did the whole area pull up like a rug? If so that could be grub damage but you should be able to see them in the soil thatch interface. It would be way too early for that in my zone. If the grass just broke off with no resistance at the soil then you might want to consider something like bluegrass billbug, but again, don't know if that is a problem pest in your area. If so, you will see hollowed out grass stems packed with a sawdust like material. Those are the 2 insects you do the tug test for in my area.
  4. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Wolfpack, if the turf is still showing signs of greenturf pour the water on. In somecases you can get the turf to reattach itself by promoting root activity.