1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grub Proof Guarantted

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Nov 17, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I have seen other people advertise that they guarantee grub proofing. How can you do that if the customer doesnt water it in? Do you still repair the lawn if the grubs do damage? Any pricing sugestions
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

2 main rules in this industry, 1., in many cases, you may not get all of many things....the idea is the word control...... and 2., if instructions aren't followed - ESPECIALLY per LABEL instructions,...all bets are off.
  3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

its a percentage game...
  4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Guarantee is a word best unused in this business. As joe stated, control is a great word to use. We applied weed control today not weed killer! You dont want the mindset of the word killer and you cant gaurantee something that you cant 100% control.
  5. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

Most homeowners wouldn't know a grub if they saw one. I'm sure many techs or companies when faced with a grub problem after they "put down grub control" may tell the customer "Oh you have a lawn disease" and charge them for Dylox and reseeding. I've been doing this for 5 years and I have heard many ugly stories.
  6. group501

group501 LawnSite Member

I feel pretty safe offering a guarantee on our grub control. If our service does not provide the proper control then we will apply the curative control and any damaged areas will be repaired at no charge. In six years we have only had one failure with Merit and it was only a small area in the backyard. I am sure that not every customer follows our directions to water after the service. However, if there is a problem do you think they are going to admit that they did not water. I do not have the time to go back to each house to verify if they watered. I feel that if you charge appropriately for the service then if some touch up seed and Dylox become necessary it has already been factored in.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I could be wrong--but i think I heard the Bayer people guarantee grub control with Merit. So some companies feel confident they can guarantee it to their cutomers. Merit works--so usually it would be no problem--if applied at the right time and right rate, and watered in within a reasonable time frame.
  8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Ever seen the movie Tommy Boy? They explain it perfectly. Warranties are to lure in the buyer.
  9. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Which one?

"You can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass. But wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?"

"All they sold you was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is. If you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time."
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

That would be the one. LOL! :laugh: