grub question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenback, Apr 28, 2004.

1. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

one of my customers has grubs and also wants a seeding and fert. do i put down grub killer first and then seed and fert and how long inbetween should i wait. thanks

2. scottb113

scottb113 LawnSite Member

How do you know if they still have grubs--damage is usually most apparent after the food source has been eaten--the grubs may be gone. Check it out--Not sure whre L.I is but most places grubs are not eating yet. seed and fert--keep an eye out for grubs later

3. greenback

greenback LawnSite Member
    from L.I.

long island, he sees little white worms(bugs) in his lawn, i guess i really want to know if i seed and fert will the grubs mess that up.

4. WAGS LandL

WAGS LandL LawnSite Member

Not right now, you can seed now and fert, the grubs you are seeing now are getting ready to pupate and turn into beetles.
    The main damage grubs cause starts in August and after. Spring
    grubs are not going to be a problem. You could put down a
    material like merit (imachloprid (sp?)), this is a preventative
    control that goes down now and prevents that fall grub damage.
    That can be applied right after seeding.

5. environment

environment LawnSite Member

there are also a few chemicals that can go down in very early july, that is when they are in there most reproductive state, so you kill the eggs before they hatch, but ya, seed and fertilize now, they dont feed till august

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I hate grubs. They are bad for business. Always undercutting our prices and driving down the market. Not to mention, using inferior equipment and wearing fringy cut-off jeans. This is just simply unacceptable. DOWN WITH GRUBS!

7. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

watch out for the DEC, since you must not be licensed or certified based on your question. they're out this year. what the other guys said is right as far as the answer to your question