Grub Worms

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

Any of you out there know how to get rid of Grub Worms? What is the best thing to get, to kill them? I have a customer that wants me to kill her grub worms. Just wanting to see what options I have for killing them.

2. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Scotts has a product for grubs i dont know how good it is i never used it but i hear good things

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Use nematodes unless you don't give a *^%! about the environment. If that is the case then use the chemical Merit. Nematodes are microscopic parasites of white grubs and other pests. When applied as directed they have been found to have 90+% control rate. They occur naturally in the lawn. You just add more so there are enough to control the grubs. They are completely non-toxic so you don't have to worry about harming children or pets (they are more suceptible to the negative effects of pesticides than adults)I get nematodes from http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com

5. there are several different kinds of grubs. have never heard of a grub worm though. you can tell them apart however by the rastral pattern that they have on their heads. if it is a jap beetle grub... you can put down: turcam / dursban / mocap / dylox / proxol / sevin / merit / mach II. if you wish to go IPM wise you can spread milky disease powder which i think like eats up the grubs or something? im not really sure. but that takes a while to get to levels high enough to really control grubs. and with the pesticides watch out for what your state says. i believe merit cannot be applied 2 years in a row or something? and dursban is becoming restriced in some states now.

6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Diazinon will work but will kill all the earthworms (bad). Mach 2 will leave the worms and kill the grubs. Milky Spores will supposedly cure your lawn from grubs for up to 20 years. I tested it on my lawn this past fall and look forward to seeing the results this summer.

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

The top two chemistry's in the kansas City region would be Merit and Mach 2. I would be surprised if there is grub activity in Indiana at this time of the year.

So far there has been know residual resistance to either of these to actives.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

milky spore according to the instructions needs to be applied three times a season, for two seasons, then after the 6 apps r complete u r covered for 20 years. i used it last year to promote an organic treatment, but these customers never had grub problems before, dont know how it will work on lawns that have a history of grub problems.

10. Howzit Brah!

Go to http://www.grounds-mag.com and get the February issue on grubs you will get all the latest on the new low dose stuff for grubs. The thing is timing and regular check up. Also, determine thresholds (best time to apply) b-4 using any chemical to control. You can take a sample count by peeling back a portion of turf to get an actual grub count.

Much of the broad spectrum chemicals (dursban, diazinon) are being discontinued. So no more one chem kills all anymore. This means targeted chemicals for specific pests. Also, means you need to be invovled more to see what is working and if you have more than one insect prob. Charge accordingly for the extra time/effort it takes to control pests. What kills one pest will have no effect whatsoever on another. So do your research and check out the mag. online.

Hope this helps

P.Y.S.