Grubb question?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mikey, Apr 3, 2002.

1. mikey

mikey LawnSite Member

i had a buddy of mine who does a lot of business with me in th espring and summer im a solo operator.He showed me all these
    big holes in his mulch and grass and he wants me to put down that grubb fertilizer to try to get rid of them..there really good size holes about the size of a quarter.What should i do about this
    we think its birds feeding off of grubs and making little holes to get a t them are we right?what can we do ?/??
  2. LawnPro in NC

LawnPro in NC LawnSite Member

Maybe Squirrells hiding nuts
  3. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

It could be moles or it could be skunks going after the moles.

Does it seem like there are a lot of tunnels and raised area around? that might be moles,

Or strangley enough it could even be a dog. Just a I starting writing this I remember my wife watching one of my St. Bernards running around the yard chasing something for a little bit. Dug down and came up with a mole and killed it.... stranger things around here

Pete :confused:
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull at the grass or drag your toe accross it. If the grass lifts right up, its grubs. The little holes could be from squirrels & nuts, but if the grass is loose it is probably skunks eating grubs. When the grubs are not so deep and the crows figure it out it will look like someone rototilled it.
  5. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't apply a grub app unless you know it's grubs, it could be so many other things. To properly treat an insect or pest, you need to understand the life cycle and the best time to treat.

Besides, a grub app early in the season is fairly useless since the grubs did most of their feeding last year. Those that will emerge in May (our area) will do little feeding before turning into a masked chaeffer or beetle. If you do find grubs when the soil temp warms up, apply Merit or similar treatment for the next generation of grubs that will be coming on or about the middle of June.

The larger the insect, the more insecticide it will take to kill them. Therefore, this spring when they are at their largest, they will require more insecticide, like Dylox or Proxol. The treatments may not be effective.

To read more about Grubs... check out Dr. Dave Shetlar's write up on them. He's a great resource for insects.
  6. Commander

Commander Banned

Right now control really is not an option. In early June - mid June put down Merit. You most likely have European Chafer. There will be a few different recommended rates for application. You are going to want to use the higher rate. This will kill off the Chafers and Jap Beetle grubs.