1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jun 22, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

An industry leader recommends this product to be applied in April/May for "season long control" of grubworms. But the 'fine print' explains this grubworm product is only good for 90 days or so. (We get their regular updates via email). Now they sent me another update saying that now is the best time to apply grubex (again???). We apply Merit in late June through early August with very fine results (got burned with Mach I the first year it was available -- many "breakthroughs"). Suggesting in early spring & "season-long control" -- then saying "summer" is the best time??? Any logical answers or opinions? (I have my own). Thanks!
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think they just start advertising a month or two early so they can sell more product. they know most customers aren't going to rush out and buy Grub-ex the first time they see it advertised, most people need to see or hear the ad 5-7 times before they buy.
  3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I tend to disagree with this statement. Over the years a lot of fall seeding customers with grub breakthrough have said the've put down Grubex in April or May and wonder why they have grubs. As soon as the sunday ad comes out with grub control in it they go apply. Same with the pre-em.
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

or it might be that they are talking about the grub season and not our calendar season?

Bayer also advertises that with Merit you'll get season long protection. Realizing that the grub season starts when eggs are laid in summer and ends when beetles take flight the following summer.

I can see how the homeowner will get confussed....but I dont understand a pro being confussed by that statement?
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Personally (and as we've discussed this, I have expressed this before), I think it should be against the law to even have this stuff out on shelves at most times of the year. They have this stuff sitting out on shelves at Home depot in August and September, and still in April and May. For those that buy it in August or so, these poor people are even more clueless, but you know what? The kid in aisle 3 will tell them how good the stuff the works, and that yep - they can put it on right now...It MUST be alright, because they are still selling it. They will even load it up in the car for them!
  6. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they suggest putting it down early spring to get the overwintering grubs?

Wait.... is "Grubex" imidicloprid? I thought it was halofenozide

This is from the Scott's website:

When to Apply

* GrubEx® works best when applied before grubs hatch or when they are newly hatched. For proper application in most areas, apply anytime from late-spring through mid-summer.
    * This product does not interfere with the performance of other lawn products such as fertilizers, weed controls and insect controls.
    * For best results, apply May through July.

They are correct on application. I prefer late June through July though. Anyways, it's advertised "season long" because the grub "season" is in the fall when everyone freaks out when they hatch and start eating.

It's the fault of HomeDepot/Lowes to have it on the shelf when it's not the correct time to apply. Homeowners aren't smart enough to read the label. I don't blame Scotts.
  7. americanlawn

from midwest

Next time I receive a reminder in April that tells me that now is the time to apply a (90-day) product for season-long control of annual white grubworms, I think I will ignore it. Problem is that customers read this too. I'm not firing any guns at any company, nor the product in question. In fact, a handful of lawns in the upper Midwest actually do experience grubworm damage in the month of May, although it somewhat rare. My problem is with a broadband statement suggesting a product applied in April will offer "season-long control" of grubworms for lawns in the upper Midwest (norhthern masked chaffers for the most part). Here, we see most of the grubworm damage ocurring in September/October....many years = well into November too. April apps of GrubEx = season-long is misleading to most folks. Those who follow IPC (integrated pest control) know what I'm talking about. This is why I made this post. Thanks guys -- nice posts, I'm on the same page as you.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Scotts is a chemical company. They make money by selling chemicals. They understand PT Barnums addage:
    "There's a sucker born every minute".
    Ashton Richie gets on the radio and tells homeowners what they want to hear, not the facts.

There is no such thing as season long control of grubs. Not since they took Chlordane off the market. Then you had DECADE long control!!

Here in CT, 1st and 2nd week of July seems to be the best time. Different parts of the country may see egg laying earlier in the year, not sure.

I actually bought a bag of Grubex one JANUARY for some house plants. Worked great.

Grubex is Imichloprid again. Was Halofenazide for a year or two, but is now back to th good stuff. There is a "Season Long Grub Control" containing Halofenazide. Not sure who markets it. Saw homies buying it by the ton at the Depot.
  9. americanlawn

from midwest

I did an estimate today for a young lady, and she showed me an estimate she received form Scotts just before I arrived.

Her lawn = a 6000 sq ft corner lot which is flat & easy to treat

Estimate #1 = $45.00 per app. GrubEx = $88.00

Our estimate = about the same, except our grubworm prevention app price was significantly less (we use Merit).

The lady was confused about the significant difference in price for grubworm prevention.

So we added up the cost of her summer app + GrubEx. $133.00 This seemed like alot of money to her. I agreed.

{Our "material cost" for a summer app (fert + spot spray) + Merit is about $11.00 for her lawn. This is combo product --- 50% XCU 20-x-x fert plus Merit applied at 4 lbs per 1000 sq ft.}

So if you subtract $11 from $133, that's $122 dollars (net) after material cost. Not bad for a fifteen minute job. Many of our customers apply their own grub prevention app, and now I see why.

I have utmost respect for our local Scotts Lawn Care, but not for their "corporate management".

Any thoughts?
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good point, Larry.
    Scotts changes the active ingredient in their products. Halofenizide, then imidicloprid (Merit), but now they have switched to Acelepryn (chlorantraniliprole) by Dupont. Works nicely. Reduced risk. But I read somewhere it dissolves and enters the soil very slowly. So therefore they are recommending it be applied about a month sooner than their imidicloprid product. I am hopeing to get better information from university sources about the optimum time in my state. As for Scotts-- I am sure they just want to keep it simple.