1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grubs and cheimcal suits

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by adawg88, May 29, 2006.

1. adawg88

adawg88 LawnSite Member
    from MI

This is sure to sound like a strange question, but my neighbor had his yard eaten up by grubs last summer. He is not happy about it and told me the other day that he got some "nasty stuff" to kill them off this summer that is so strong that it requires he wear a full chemical outfit. Any idea what he could be laying down? I ask because I have a newborn baby at home and if this stuff is strong enough that he needs a chemical suit, I am worried about the baby. Debating taking a day or two at the parent's house when I see him applying...
  2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

as long as your baby isn't crawling around or on the neighbor's lawn, you should be fine. is he putting down liquid or granular?
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

If he is just a home owner that got his hands on a RUP (Restricted Use pesticide) Then yes, I would say you have a concern. If he is a certified applicator, you are probably safe. It depends if he follows the label and applies only what is needed to control the problem, If he is going to double strength it and try to wipe out every living thing in his lawn, You would be well advised to go away for a while.
  4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I would advise caution. You don't know what he is using and keep in mind the product is intended to kill.

It should not be airborne but if you can smell it stay away. Grub controls usually work better when watered in. I would tell him to do so ASAP!

I developed a grub repellent that works without causing collateral damage. It simply causes the food supply to be unattractive and causes internal digestive issues which makes them unable to feed.

It works for Grubs and Chinch bugs.

You may want to have him look at our products at
    www.farmcropextracts.com or go to the local garden center for a number
    of alternative products currently available off the shelf.
  5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

He may have been reading the part of the label about PPE for handling an d mixing concentrates.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

you might tell him that Merit is the best product on the market for grubs and also one of the safest!