Grubs and newly hydroseeded lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jingles, May 1, 2006.

1. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I had my front lawn totally redone about three weeks ago. It was a hydroseed blend. Well in the process of replacing a couple of sprinkler heads, I noticed a few small grubs here and there. My question is, can I apply some type of killer now to take care of them. The lawn has started to come up, but is not fully grown in yet. Thanks for any help

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the grubs you find now shouldn't do any damage. I would wait until june/july and put down Merit. all lawns have grubs! but when you get enough grub activity you will see damage. if you have had grub damage in the past I would recommend using merit. after you see damage its too late for Merit and you should use Dylox, this usually happens late august-sept.

3. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Several years ago I had to replace several areas with new sod, thanks to grubs. For some reason, my yard seems prone to them. My original lawn was 100% Kentucky blue grass sod. What a pain in the ass it was to keep up. Any way, glad I am rid of it, they used something called Pennsylvania blend. Hopefully it will be more drought/disease resistance. Again thanks for the reply, wasn't aware that all lawns had grubs, at least some.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also bare in mind, if you have irrigation, you have a nicer lawn. This is even more susceptible to grubs. The reason being; the beetles prefer moist cool areas to lay their eggs.

5. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Thanks, I also seem to have many Japanese Beatles in the summer, which I think are tied into grubs. Does certain types of landscaping attract these types of insects?

6. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Japanese beetles are the parents of Japanese beetle grubs which like kentucky blue grass. The beetles are attracted to roses among several other plants. If you put down Hb nematodes, they will get rid of the problem. Or go with merit as suggested - do that this month or you will be trying to patch up with dylox later as someone else already said.

7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Merit applied now will do nothing, according to the academics. Apply it in the end of june.

8. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

I should have been more careful - where you are, and for beetle grub - end of June would be better. Here billbug are already hatched and on their way, and by early July are doing significant damage. So here for billbug end of May to mid June is good timing.

9. jingles

jingles LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestion guys, will use merit in June...:)

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

getting rid of the sod should help too! I don't think I have ever had a customer with a sodded lawn that didn't have a grub problem eventually.