Grubs etc

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pristine1, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Pristine1

Pristine1 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hi everyone. As I send out my first round of advertisements, I want to be somewhat prepared for anticipated questions. Up here in Maine, we have a ton of Jap beetles, and, therefor, grubs. What is the organic control for these? I know that many people are deathly afraid of their lawns being munched to straw due to these pests. I will, of course, start by telling them that a turf plant growing in the right conditions will be able to survive much better, but I also know that they are going to want a little more reassurance!

So, to further my education, how do we go about organically managing these little buggers????

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Nematodes, ICT NPP, re-seed.

3. Pristine1

Pristine1 LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Ok, so we do have a way to treat the grubs. Hopefully, we get to it before the necessity of reseeding! With CT or the ICT product, are the nematodes already in there, or is that something that we need to go back and spray? Damn, I thought I was getting the hang of this!

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

milky spore is what you want......

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Nematodes are a seperate application completely, there are certain types of nematodes that look to the grub as a place to lay eggs. They get inside the grub and infect it with a fungal pathogen, the fungi destroys the grubs viability and the nematode lay their eggs inside the grub to hatch. This cycle allows the populations of nematodes to get going pretty fast, of course once most of the grubs are gone the nematodes die off and the cycle begins again.

Just like my back yard with rabbitts, one year they are thick then the fox and hawks move in for a season or 2, soon no rabbitts then no foxes or hawks, 2 years later there are plenty of rabbitts

Basically the grub becomes bio-mass in the soil. Nematodes need to be watered in and are microscopic, you can see some by eyeball but normally need some magnification to see them

Nematodes are naturally occurring in soils, they are some that are bacterial feeders and other that are fungal feeders. The nematode poop is whatever the bacteria or fungi has eaten, mostly plant available nutrients, free plant food and one of the major cogs in the soil food web wheel.

Our 1-2-3 NPP at 4 ounces per 1000 sq ft is excellent for the soil and costs around $100 per acre which is less expensive and certainly less toxic than chemicals. It is made from crab shells

6. treegal1

7. Mr. Nice

Mr. Nice LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Make a positive identification first? then go from there... stick to proven methods that work.

8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I use milky spore in the flower bed and gardens its a bit pricey for big lawns

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe, but it takes a long time to build up in the soil and only infects Jap Beetle grubs. Here in NJ the japs are no longer the predominant grub species. Milky spore will not infect the other species.

A little history: Jap Beetles were first identified in the US about 5 miles from here at the turn of the last century. Once it was realized how destructive they were, some pretty nasty stuff was used to wipe them out. Obviously that approach didn't work.

Gurb on right is infected. Cool. :cool2:

grub12.jpg

10. treegal1