1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grubs Everywhere

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by captn, May 22, 2008.

1. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Help me out here guys. I bought a house last year with a 1 acre plus lawn.

The lawn was completely neglected and I spent the last year really bringing it back to life. It was looking great until a couple weeks ago.

I just got done planting some trees and flowerbeds, and noticed with every shovel full of black dirt, there could be as many as 10-15 grub worms.

This seems like an pretty bad ifestation here and I'm looking for product advice since I just laid down a weed and feed prior to finding this out. there are bare spots popping up everywhere:dizzy:

Thanks for the input.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your local Lesco and get some Dylox. I just had the same problem and used Dylox and my problem is gone. I had brown spots and also large hollow sounding areas. The product needs to be watered in but works very well. Follow up with a grub prevention later in the season.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

In Michigan grub control is not recommended after the 2nd week of May. Because the grubs pupate and turn into adult beetles in early June. They are probably done feeding by now.The beetles emerge and fly away. If they are Japanese beetles they will feed on your bushes for a few weeks. If European chafer they do not actually feed much. Concentrate your efforts on an application of Merit about the 4th of July. Kill the next generation and you are safe for until July 2009.
  4. cgaengineer

Would Dylox not control them now especially if he is still seeing grubs?
  5. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Alot of beetles did fly away. portions of the yard look like it was aerated.

Out of curiousity, I stuck another shovel in the ground this morning, and still a ricockulous amount of grubs.

Merit or Dylox?? active ingredient for pesticide the same?
  6. cgaengineer

Dylox is a contact insecticide and it kills active grubs. If what you are telling me is correct and they are flying away then you should be ok not treating now and you can treat with merit in July (as RigglePLC suggested) when grass is actively growing as merit is absorbed into the grass itself and the grubs eat the roots and the grubs are poisoned. What you will be treating with merit is new grubs. All of your grubs are now emerging into beetles so treatment will not be needed and nor will it be of any use. I treated a few weeks ago and had really good luck with Dylox but I beat them before they were turning into beetles. Hopefully the damage you have now will repair before time to treat in July. Like RigglePLC said you will be good until 2009 with Merit.
  7. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

No, Merit is a preventitive that takes 20-30 days to get set up in the plant and is only effective against the juvenile grubs. Dylox is the quick active contact control to get rid of existing populations.
    Use the Dylox to kill what you've got now and then put the Merit down in May/June to prevent damage from the fall hatch.
  8. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your time killing something that's going to fly away soon. Dylox may give some control now but don't waste your money. Go with an extended control product and get the grubs when the hatch from egg stage. Spring grub applications are generally not needed because the grubs are too large for effective control, the damage they do is usually minimal do to active growth in the lawn, cool temps and frequent rain. Most of the damage you see in the spring occurred last fall. This would apply to northern climates.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

In the Midwest, the most common grubworm feeding occurs from mid August thru November (Norther mask chafer), but ocassionally, outbreaks can occur in May......then dylox is in order.
  10. captn

captn LawnSite Member

So a distribution of Merit (or preventative equivelent) next month, with an application of Dylox (or contact control) next May if needed.......right?

Any issue on the timing of these chemicals with my standard fert application?

Thanks all.